Question Installing HDD from previous build suddenly stopped working

Jul 2, 2022
So about a month ago I built a brand new gaming PC. I had a storage HDD in there that's only about 2-3 years old. I can't find exactly which HP drive it is, but I remember it was almost identical to the Seagate Barracuda 4TB with 7200RPM.

I plugged the old drive into the new PC and everything worked just fine. It kept it's original drive name and letter, and I began using the PC like normal.

After about 1-2 weeks I was playing a video game one day and when I turned the game off and looked at my file system, the drive had completely disappeared. Only my (C:) Drive was listed.

The drive appears in Device Manager as "Unknown Device," and it's listed in Disk Management as "Disc 0 Uninitialized Disc"

I have no idea why this happened, the drive is not that old and I barely even got to use it compared to my Barracuda I had before this. That drive lasted me probably 6-7 years before it finally completely stopped working

Any help at all would be most appreciated. This post is basically my last resort before I say that the drive is just a lost cause. Just really not looking forward to having to wait to purchase a new one already. I'll never buy another HP product again, first AND last time.

I tried my best to get this post to allow me to link some photos from Imgur but it won't work, so here's a link instead.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
That's correct but the opposite can also be true and that's the only reason I wanted to ask for opinions
My point was...always be prepared for a drive death.

If still under warranty, free replacement.
If not under warranty, it had a good life.

Either way, recover the data from your backup.

In Disk Management, if you try to Reinitialize, what happens?
(note, this may fully kill off what data may be still on it)

This post is basically my last resort before I say that the drive is just a lost cause.
Just really not looking forward to having to wait to purchase a new one already.
It's dead. Drive can't read geometry information from platters.
It doesn't show drive capacity information.

Replace.
If you need data recovered, then contact professional data recovery services.

May want to check drive SMART information. You can use HDtune health for that. Post screenshot.
But it's not going to tell anything other, than that your drive is dead.

Jul 2, 2022
My point was...always be prepared for a drive death.

If still under warranty, free replacement.
If not under warranty, it had a good life.

Either way, recover the data from your backup.

In Disk Management, if you try to Reinitialize, what happens?
(note, this may fully kill off what data may be still on it)

When I open Disk Management it automatically brings up a pop-up saying "You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it." Either GPT or MBR.

I select GPT and click "OK" and then it says "A device which does not exist was specified."

But the disk is right there in the list as Disk 0

Jul 2, 2022
It's dead. Drive can't read geometry information from platters.
It doesn't show drive capacity information.

Replace.
If you need data recovered, then contact professional data recovery services.

May want to check drive SMART information. You can use HDtune health for that. Post screenshot.
But it's not going to tell anything other, than that your drive is dead.

Is there anything I could have done during this whole process that could have contributed to the drive failing?
My new case stores all the drives in a small compartment near the PSU...could the lack of airflow and heat in combination with new Shut Down habits have contributed as well?