I was trying to install an old game on my XPhome system and i keep getting
errors that try to report to MS.....I tried the same install on my 98SE
machine and it seemed to work ......didn't install because I don't want it on
that system. Anyone experience this? is it the installshield version or
something wrong with my XP install?
All the updates for XP have been installed.

Ghoti wrote:
> I was trying to install an old game on my XPhome system and i keep getting
> errors that try to report to MS.....I tried the same install on my 98SE
> machine and it seemed to work ......didn't install because I don't want it on
> that system. Anyone experience this? is it the installshield version or
> something wrong with my XP install?
> All the updates for XP have been installed.

If you mean Heroes Of Might And Magic 2 then the game is quite old
(around 1996) and I suppose there is some kind of compatibility problem
of the game with Windows XP.

--
*Riccardo Cretti* - ICQ 15927849
Get Firefox!

Yes it is heroes of might and magic 2 ...but strangely both Homm1 and Homm3
installed ok...???!!? as did Homm4. and the copy of the cd i have is the
HoMM2 Gold.

"Riccardo Cretti" wrote:

> Ghoti wrote:
> > I was trying to install an old game on my XPhome system and i keep getting
> > errors that try to report to MS.....I tried the same install on my 98SE
> > machine and it seemed to work ......didn't install because I don't want it on
> > that system. Anyone experience this? is it the installshield version or
> > something wrong with my XP install?
> > All the updates for XP have been installed.
>
> If you mean Heroes Of Might And Magic 2 then the game is quite old
> (around 1996) and I suppose there is some kind of compatibility problem
> of the game with Windows XP.
>
> --
> *Riccardo Cretti* - ICQ 15927849
> Get Firefox!
> http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Chas

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

"Ghoti" <Ghoti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes it is heroes of might and magic 2 ...but strangely both Homm1 and
> Homm3
> installed ok...???!!? as did Homm4. and the copy of the cd i have is the
> HoMM2 Gold.
>
> "Riccardo Cretti" wrote:
>
>> Ghoti wrote:
>> > I was trying to install an old game on my XPhome system and i keep
>> > getting
>> > errors that try to report to MS.....I tried the same install on my 98SE
>> > machine and it seemed to work ......didn't install because I don't want
>> > it on
>> > that system. Anyone experience this? is it the installshield version
>> > or
>> > something wrong with my XP install?
>> > All the updates for XP have been installed.
>>
>> If you mean Heroes Of Might And Magic 2 then the game is quite old
>> (around 1996) and I suppose there is some kind of compatibility problem
>> of the game with Windows XP.
>>
>> --
>> *Riccardo Cretti* - ICQ 15927849
>> Get Firefox!
>> http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Hi
Try Running the game in compatibility Mode
To do this Right Click the executable which start's the game
click properties>compatibility, and tick the box "Run this program in
Compatibility Mode for:
choose from the drop down list
Chas

can I install a program using that feature or is it only for running the
program under XP? When i try the install i go thru the first 3 screens that
tell me i have directX already installed ....then i get the accept screen i
hit "yes", then i get the error reporting for MS IE i think, that ask me if i
want to send a report to MS, i say yes then it sends and quits the
program....so program is never installed.

Ghoti wrote:
> can I install a program using that feature or is it only for running the
> program under XP? When i try the install i go thru the first 3 screens that
> tell me i have directX already installed ....then i get the accept screen i
> hit "yes", then i get the error reporting for MS IE i think, that ask me if i
> want to send a report to MS, i say yes then it sends and quits the
> program....so program is never installed.

If you can't install the game properly under XP I'm tempted to think
there is something wrong in the installer, but I don't know how you can
find a workaround.