thursday1036pm

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I just ordered all the parts for an i7 build. I'm pretty nervous about installing the i7 - worried about bending pins, cracking it, etc. How easy is it to install it? Does anyone have any tips?

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Well, first off, make sure you have an anti-static wriststrap, or you may end up very sorry. ;)

EAZY-E

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2008
Ive never worked with an i7 but i suspect you just lift the little lever, pop open teh little door, drop the CPU in the only way it will fit and put the door and lever back :). I'm fairly certain the i7 doesn't have any pins, the pins are in the socket and only exposed when the lever is down and the door is closed. Intel made the socket pretty foolproof, you would have a hard time damaging it unless you tried :) Now mounting a heatsink is another story, unless they changed the system from the core2s

thursday1036pm

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I ordered a wrist strap along with the other computer parts. I've read lots of different opinions - should I just connect the strap to the case with the PSU off?

Also, I've heard of people cracking the CPU when putting the fan in. Is this a risk with the i7?

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Installing the i7 is pretty much the same as installing C2D's or C2Q's you are just dealing with a slightly bigger chip and heatsync. The pins are located in the socket of the motherboard and the CPU has these small metal circles (gold plated I think?) that are supposed to contact with the pins in the socket. Make sure the triangle shaped mark on the CPU is properly lined up with the mark on the motherboard and just place it in the socket, don't apply any pressure. Also always handle the CPU by its edges.

caniba

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Ya there really aren't any pins to bend. Just hold by the edges and drop it in the socket. no pressure necessary. It is very easy just follow the mobo instructions.