Installing ide controller card on sata motherboard

sykohedd

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
i have a MSI G965M mainboard with sata controllers. there is one ide slot (which they call USB to IDE) which i hooked up my optical drives on. I had only one HD connected to one sata port - but found a WD Caviar 250GB IDE drive I purchased some time ago that was somehow packed in a box and forgotten in the garage. The thing about this new drive besides 250GB and 8MB cache, is that it came with an IDE controller card that fits in one of the two PCI slots. (i also just installed a SB Audigy 2 card in the first PCI slot.) I decided to try to install the WD 250GB and connect it to the IDE controller as storage for my digital audio recordings, and as just a back up drive. When I boot-up, windows only asks me for "NEW HARDWARE DRIVERS" for a "PCI INTERFACE" which I believe is part of the soundcard drivers - and NOT the controller card. Even if I attemp to just install the SB drivers on CD, the system hangs and I cannot get the IDE drive to show up. Am I trying to do something that just won't happen?

Thanks for any answers,

Sykohedd

sykohedd

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009

Yea, sorry for the bit of confusion. My issue is the IDE controller card on a motherboard made for sata drives. I mentioned the SB audigy only because I installed that the same time I installed the controller card. The sound card isn't the issue though. Maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned that. I have been twiddling with the system for the past few hours and still cant seem to get the IDE drive to be recognized. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yeah, review your logic here. You installed simultaneously (poor idea, but could work anyway) two new devices in PCI slots and on booting up installed drivers for ONE of them only, then wonder why the second one still does not work. Follow jtpublisher's instructions. While you're at it, make sure you read the instructions on that IDE controller board to see how to set it up and use it.