[SOLVED] Installing incompatible Nvidia drivers

xtremexyz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2018
Hi, now, you might be looking at the title and thinking that I am mad. But I would like to know if it is theoretically possible to force install the latest Nvidia drivers on my Kepler GPU which aren't compatible, and if so, how? I am aware that this could destroy my GPU but I am prepared to risk it. Thanks.

Solution
You could maybe modify the driver by adding the specific model to the list of hardware it accepts. It might work for the most part, but it will not gain you anything. Any feature the GPU doesn't support is likely to crash on an attempt to load.

If you are running into some DX level requirement issue, the driver won't help. The hardware is incapable of the newer features. That is why driver support tapers off for older cards.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You could maybe modify the driver by adding the specific model to the list of hardware it accepts. It might work for the most part, but it will not gain you anything. Any feature the GPU doesn't support is likely to crash on an attempt to load.

If you are running into some DX level requirement issue, the driver won't help. The hardware is incapable of the newer features. That is why driver support tapers off for older cards.

Solution

xtremexyz

Honorable
Mar 4, 2018

Hi, thanks for your answer.