Installing Kali Linux?

ethanBaCSGO

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
Don't take the edgy title like im trying to hack I want to install this to test my security.

Q.1 Do I need to install Linux for this?
Q.2 I'm using this as my media/storage pc would that be ok?
Q.3 Is testing security of my internet ok? I just want to make sure if anyone thinks this is fishy sees that this is my network and I'm not hacking someone
Q.4 I want to record games that I play from my windows 8.1 computer will record fine with a Linux os of that is needed of course

Any info is useful sorry for all the questions

Solution
1) Kali allows you to create your own custom Kali distro. This should allow your distro to have livecd functionality even if the standard Kali distro does not. Kali is derived from backtrack, a pentesting livecd, and pentesters often prefer running their penetration tests off of a livecd. You will need to be comfortable in a linux environment, or willing to learn to become comfortable in a linux environment, to use Kali.

2) If you're only using this for hacking your own network, as you stated in (3), then why would this be a concern? Can the computer connect to the network somehow? If so, then you can run Kali on it and use it for penetration testing.

3) It's not your 'internet', it's your local network. As long as you are the...

JMW22

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
1) Kali allows you to create your own custom Kali distro. This should allow your distro to have livecd functionality even if the standard Kali distro does not. Kali is derived from backtrack, a pentesting livecd, and pentesters often prefer running their penetration tests off of a livecd. You will need to be comfortable in a linux environment, or willing to learn to become comfortable in a linux environment, to use Kali.

2) If you're only using this for hacking your own network, as you stated in (3), then why would this be a concern? Can the computer connect to the network somehow? If so, then you can run Kali on it and use it for penetration testing.

3) It's not your 'internet', it's your local network. As long as you are the *owner* of this network and all machines that will be pentested on it, this should be fine.

4) Yes you can record games from linux using a screen capture program like one of these: https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1229. I have no idea what this has to do with Kali linux though. Kali linux is a pentesting distribution and you would if anything be MUCH better off running it off of a livecd, or else off a piece of hardware that you are devoting exclusively to pentesting. It will not be optimized for GAMES, MEDIA or any of the other fun things you like to do on your PC. It's optimized for pentesting, that's it. If this will be your first linux install, I recommend Ubuntu. For your second install once you're more comfortable with linux I recommend Gentoo. That's it. Kali is for pentesting, and that's what it's for, and that's all you should expect it to do. If it happens to be possible to run Steam from Kali linux, well that's cool. But that's still not what it's for. Just install Ubuntu, and then you can build a custom (or standard) Kali liveusb stick image that you can boot from whenever you need to pentest your network (make sure it's *your* network).

Solution