[SOLVED] Installing LED strip to a Z370P D3

KP1990

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Hi guys

So I picked up some LED strips to go inside my PC case

My Gigabyte Z370P has a Header for RGB LED Strips

So I was wondering, so I just plug it into the header, and that's it? Or is there more involved?

I looked up google videos and stuff but they often mention things like molex connectors and connecting it to the PSU

Is that still needed for my particular mobo?

Here's a PDF of the user manual, it doesnt make mention of any additional steps, only to plug it into the header

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/D1Da4MSxD9S.pdf

Thanks.

Yes it will as it is a standard 5050 LED strip but it is quiet a large RGB strip made for other uses like TV's, cabinets etc. and it may require quiet a bit of power. Personally I would use the included power plug but you can test one roll....It is critical to line up the 12v pin on the LED Strip 4 pins to line up with the 12v pin on the motherboard connector...do not connect it the wrong way.

The motherboard RGB can support a max of 2 metres in length with a maximum 2 AMP rating. The rating for the LED's you have is below but a little confusing but 10 meters is way too much....I would not take a chance personally!:

Input: 50/60 Hz; 100-240 V AC (max 1.2 A)
Output voltage: 12 V (max 3A)

Others might be able to help and hopefully they will jump in.

KP1990

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
Ok, thanks

I bought them originally with the intent to have them around the outsides of the ceiling in my room, but I don't think they'd just reach, and other problems as well so just decided to have them installed under my bedframe, but I ordered 10m and it came with two 5m cables, one 5m cable is enough to go round bedframe so have a left over 5m that wanted to use on my PC case.

I suppose only issue with directly into motherboard is that the LED's will start from where its plugged in, and won't look as good visually

Also if it uses alot of power is another concern, as I only have a 550w PSU, this is coupled with an i7 8700k, 16gb ram, and a GTX 1060, and two mechanical hard drives.. Do you think a 550w PSU would be enough to add on LED strips as well?

Edit: oh and btw, it lets you cut it to size, so I was planning on cutting it to 2 meters

Last edited:
Ok, thanks

I bought them originally with the intent to have them around the outsides of the ceiling in my room, but I don't think they'd just reach, and other problems as well so just decided to have them installed under my bedframe, but I ordered 10m and it came with two 5m cables, one 5m cable is enough to go round bedframe so have a left over 5m that wanted to use on my PC case.

I suppose only issue with directly into motherboard is that the LED's will start from where its plugged in, and won't look as good visually

Also if it uses alot of power is another concern, as I only have a 550w PSU, this is coupled with an i7 8700k, 16gb ram, and a GTX 1060, and two mechanical hard drives.. Do you think a 550w PSU would be enough to add on LED strips as well?

Edit: oh and btw, it lets you cut it to size, so I was planning on cutting it to 2 meters

No problems at all....On the power supply you are good and I would cut it to 2m and all should be good....maybe 1.9meters to be sure but I see no issues then.

KP1990

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2012
For now I've decided just to use the strips for my walls and bedframe, had some issues with motherboards recently that I talked to someone on here about, so don't want to go rushing into adding new things to my rig for now ^_^

If there's any led strips you have to recommend though for when I do get some for my PC, that'd be cool :)

Thanks again for your help

TRENDING THREADS