Installing Linux on 2nd Hard Drive (again)

trumpetman51

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
I have an older HP desktop with an AMD Sempron 3000+ cpu, 2g RAM, running Windows XP on the primary HD (40gig). I recently added a second HD (30gig not yet formatted) on which I would like to install Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela (Cinnamon). I have been trying the Mint OS via a Live USB install and I think I am ready to make it permanent but I think I would prefer to have it on it's own drive rather than sharing a drive with Windows. I am pretty clear on how to install my Linux OS to the second drive from reading other posts in the forum but I am unclear on a couple of questions that are in my mind on the subject.

First, I would like to create a page file partition on the second hard drive for Windows.
Second, I would like to create a swap file partition on the second drive for Linux.
Third, I want to be able to choose which OS to boot to each time I start the system without having to go into the system BIOS to select which HD to boot from.

Can someone please help me with this process?

Thank you community!

Solution
1, 2: You can have zero-sized swap file on C:, and regular swap file on D:.
3. If you will create this from XP, it will be difficult (not impossible) to create this partition toward end of the drive. Drive performance sometimes depends on whether a partition is toward center of the drive (in most cases, beginning) or toward edge.
4. Yes - Linux wants to live in its own partition(s), usually two.
5. You can, but you will have to choose "manual" setup. If you make your Windows partition from Windows (and leave rest of the drive unpartitioned), it will be easier to choose "Use unpartitioned space on the drive for Linux" during installation.
On your partitioning:
- Windows does not use partitions for swap, it uses files. So, while still in Windows, create a partition like 5-10gb on your secondary hard drive, format it (FAT32 should be fine), and set Windows to use it for swap. YOu can either add it, or use it as an only swap space (be careful when setting this up). You can use this partition to exchange files from Linux to Windows, since Windows won't be able to read your Linux partition.
- Disconnect your primary drive, boot Mint USB, and custom-install it on your secondary HDD. You will need custom partitioning to preserve the created Windows partition. Proceed with installation, make sure you can boot off this disk after instal.
- Reconnect your primary HDD, install EasyBCD and use it to modify WIndows boot manager with Linux instal.

trumpetman51

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

trumpetman51

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Thank you Alabalcho,

I understand about Windows not using partitions for swap, rather using a page file. What I don't understand is
1)Should I just leave it as it is (the page file is part of the Windows partition on the C: drive, or
2)Since I'm setting up this second drive which will be the D: drive, should I take the opportunity to create a partition on it for that purposr since I have read that it is better to have the page file on a second drive
3)If I do set that partition up for Windows page file, should it be the first partion on the second drive, or otherwise?
4)Do I need to set up a separate partition on the second drive for the Linux swap?
5) Can I do all this from the Install Linux operation?

Thanks again!

1, 2: You can have zero-sized swap file on C:, and regular swap file on D:.
3. If you will create this from XP, it will be difficult (not impossible) to create this partition toward end of the drive. Drive performance sometimes depends on whether a partition is toward center of the drive (in most cases, beginning) or toward edge.
4. Yes - Linux wants to live in its own partition(s), usually two.
5. You can, but you will have to choose "manual" setup. If you make your Windows partition from Windows (and leave rest of the drive unpartitioned), it will be easier to choose "Use unpartitioned space on the drive for Linux" during installation.

Solution

trumpetman51

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012

Thank you Alabalcho!