Installing M.2 SSD (clean Win 10 as boot) and old HDD as Storage (don't care about old data).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2018
I bought a HP Pavilion x360 Laptop [ba-075TX] about 8-9 months ago. It came with a 1TB 'SSHD'.
Recently, when I opened it to upgrade the RAM from 4 to 8GB, I found a SATA M.2 slot for SSD - Image [https://ibb.co/nL0iox].

So, now I want to install a Samsung 860 EVO M.2 [250GB] for booting while keeping the old HDD for storage and I don't want the old data, will format it probably.

Which is the best safest way to do it?

Though, I have these steps in mind {Please correct me where I'm wrong}>
- Install M.2 drive, remove HDD while installing Win 10 from USB.
- After Win 10 is installed, connect old HDD (through SATA to USB connector) and format it.
- Install HDD back again.
- Change boot order in BIOS [SSD on first.].
{I just know that there are two type of 'boot orders' UEFI & Legacy - I don't know anything about them- Do I need to change the UEFI boot order or the Legacy one (by enabling 'Legacy Support'), Please explain this.}

Solution
Hurray! I've finally installed the SSD, Also done with Windows and Drivers. Wiped the HDD, Named it "Storage", installed it and fortunately, didn't even have to change the boot order. Everythings working Super Smooth.
First of all...(unless you've already determined this) BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER...ensure that the Samsung SSD you're planning to purchase is absolutely compatible with your HP laptop. It may not be. So check it out - preferably with HP tech support or use their online "forum" for this info. Ensure you provide the precise model number of the laptop and the precise make/model of the SSD.

"pretty sure" DOESN'T CUT IT. YOU MUST BE ABSOLUTELY SURE. Capiche?

And I'm a bit confused that you've indicated in your above post that the Samsung 960 SSD is compatible with the HP model laptop.
I see the following comment FROM YOU in the HP forum exchange you referred to...
YOU..."Edit: Oh! I think I got it the Samsung 960 SSD is PCIe/NVMe and this laptop doesn't support that."
?????

Feb 23, 2018
Well, when I started that thread on the HP Forum, I thought that the M.2 port is NVMe So, that's why I added Samsung 960 in the title.
But after some digging, found that it's only a SATA port, just what I replied there.
And now, I'm ABSOLUTELY sure that it will work, even if doesn't, I'll just remove the HDD, Snap the SSD into a M.2 to 2.5 inch case and place it where the HDD was (but do you think this 'conversion' will affect the speed of the SSD, Just curious) and use the HDD as external drive.

Feb 23, 2018
Hurray! I've finally installed the SSD, Also done with Windows and Drivers. Wiped the HDD, Named it "Storage", installed it and fortunately, didn't even have to change the boot order. Everythings working Super Smooth.

Feb 23, 2018

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.