[SOLVED] Installing M.2 SSD on B450m dsh3

Lodestar 1

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
Hi,

A bit desperate for any help you guys can give .

I have this storage l recently purchased : WD Blue SN550 1TB High-Performance M.2 Pcie NVMe SSD.

I want to make it my boot drive / primary and have prepared an image to put on it.

I have a Gigabyte B450m dsh3. The BIOS is flashed to F50 which is current.

The problem l am having is that when l use the Windows disk repair tool on bootup and go through the process to install my image Windows does not detect the drive so l cannot install to it. .All other drives are disconnected aside from an external drive with the image on it and the USB with the disk repair.

Strangely, the drive did show in Windows on the c drive l want to replace, and l was able to allocate it. The only place l can see evidence of it in the BIOS is under Peripherals and NVMe configuration. It does not show anywhere else.

Has anyone put M.2 on this mobo that could give a walkthrough?

Thanks

Alan

Solution
Hi,

I have this storage l recently purchased : WD Blue SN550 1TB High-Performance M.2 Pcie NVMe SSD.

I want to make it my boot drive / primary and have prepared an image to put on it.

The problem l am having is that when l use the Windows disk repair tool on bootup and go through the process to install my image Windows does not detect the drive so l cannot install to it. .All other drives are disconnected aside from an external drive with the image on it and the USB with the disk repair.

Strangely, the drive did show in Windows on the c drive l want to replace, and l was able to allocate it. The only...
Hi,

Strangely, the drive did show in Windows on the c drive l want to replace, and l was able to allocate it. The only place l can see evidence of it in the BIOS is under Peripherals and NVMe configuration. It does not show anywhere else.

Has anyone put M.2 on this mobo that could give a walkthrough?

Thanks

Alan
You can't use just Windows repair mode like that, You need a full disk image, clone or ti install windows from scratch, That's for W8 and up, W7 f doesn't recognize NVME drives without drivers. Your BIOS has to be in UEFI mode.

Solution

Lodestar 1

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry l never clarified my OS is Windows 10 Pro..

I will look at the UEFI setting. Gigabyte have also responded to my query with a screenshot so l will give it another go.