[SOLVED] installing m'board - battery question

need2sleep

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
I'm about to install a new motherboard and a battery as backup source, came installed in it. Batteries supply electricity. Should I be concerned that this portion of the m'board is "hot?"

Solution
No, you don't. The ONLY reason that battery is in there, is to keep the CMOS from losing it's UEFI/BIOS settings. That's it. Nothing else. It is low voltage (3v DC) and is never removed when working on or around the system except in cases where it is being replaced OR if you need to do a hard reset of the BIOS settings.

No need to create a problem that doesn't exist.
What do you mean by "battery as backup source, came installed in it"?

Are you talking about the little coin CMOS battery that comes in every motherboard, or something else? If something else, what?

Are you referring to a UPS battery backup that you plug into the wall and then plug your power supply into the UPS backup instead of the wall?

If necessary, please post a picture of what you are talking about.

need2sleep

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2013
Sorry to frustrate. I was trying to be precise, I see I really wasn't. My apologies.

Yes, I'm talking about the coin battery that keeps the time updated when the computer is off. If the coin battery is in there, it's powering something. So do I need to worry about it shorting out when I'm putting the motherboard into a steel case?

No, you don't. The ONLY reason that battery is in there, is to keep the CMOS from losing it's UEFI/BIOS settings. That's it. Nothing else. It is low voltage (3v DC) and is never removed when working on or around the system except in cases where it is being replaced OR if you need to do a hard reset of the BIOS settings.

No need to create a problem that doesn't exist.

Solution