Installing Microsoft Office 2007 (any version) on Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I am trying to install Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 on Windows 7 (actually, re-install it) and I am having a big problem.... it keeps on freezing a little more than halfway through the install and then stops for about 30 minutes, then tells me that it 'encountered an error' (doesn't even give an error number!) and exits out.

Is anyone else having this problem? If so, have you been able to fix and how? I've gone through the registry deleting every mention of Microsoft Office on the first computer I had this problem on and tried installing it on a clean install on my old computer, which gave me the same problem exactly.

Microsoft really needs to do some quality control, I know it's just a beta, but if their OWN SOFTWARE doesn't install correctly on it..... it shouldn't have been released even as a beta.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
try using openoffice.org instead, havent had any problems with it so far and has all the functionality of office.

also have you tried running the installer with admin (right click option) and in either vista or xp compatibility mode?

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
I'm willing to bet that it's wanting to do something with admin rights and when it gets to a certain point it can't get them so it exits. try setting it to run in Vista or XP Compatibility mode and run the setup up as administrator and see what happens.

G

I had this problem before with a couple of programs so I switched to the beta of Norton 360 and everything was ok.
You could also try disconnecting from the net, uninstalling your security suite (antivirus/firewall) software and then installing office. Then reinstall your security suite.
However - I also use openoffice.org, it rocks and it's compatible with all of the Microsoft document formats.
(For anyone who hasn't bought an office suite - regardless of cashflow, try OpenOffice).

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
runs well for me, but you shouldnt delete every key, windows has been known to have entries for office when it isnt installed because some of the basic functions the os uses in some cases are derived from office code; anyway, i've got office enterprise (ultimate nowadays) 2007 SP2 installed and running on W7 7100 and it works without a hitch. could be the beta version of the OS your using (probably an earlier buggier version)

purstudios

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
For those of you who have encountered issues installing/ uninstalling/ re-installing Microsoft Office 2007 in Windows7, you might want to try using the "Compatibility Wizard".

I encountered the same issues many of you have and found success via the Windows XP SP3 configuration.

This allowed for me to install the Office fully with no issues, delays, hanging. As a matter of fact, like most of my installs with Windows 7, it was completed in at least half the time it took on Windows XP Pro.

Ricky Maveety

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
I have had exactly the same problem, but only on one of my Windows 7 computers. There is no difference between the two, and neither has anti virus or a firewall running. One of them ran the install just fine, the other is stopping midway through and giving me an error message.

Ricky Maveety

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
I had the same problem, and none of the solutions mentioned worked for me. I spent most of a day trying to get something to work.

In the end, what worked for me was reinstalling Windows 7 and then making certain that Office 2003/2007 and OneNote 2003/2007 were the first programs installed on the system.

That worked. I have no idea why, but it worked. So, if nothing else is working for you, try that for a shot in the dark.

ecoimpact

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I'm having a similar problem. Running windows 7 Release Candidate (its a beta for those not in the know) and I upgraded from vista home premium which had my office 2007 home and student already installed. Sure I've had a few snags, but who hasn't!

I actually purchased the "its not cheating" ultimate office 2007 a couple of months ago, downloaded it and tried to run it but anly receive a window titled "C:\users\me\downloads\x12-30307.exe" and contents showing the previous followed by "is not a valid Win32 application". I bit you its 64bit!

Anyway, someone online told me to uninstall it and download a new office ultimate 2007 file, I finally figured I'd do this seen how I was having issues with word documents not opening from a window unless I actually opened them within word itself.

takes office Ultimate ages to download, even on fast adsl2 connection, decide not to bother and attempt reinstall of student 2007. Problem is the cd drive didn't seem to recognise the installation cd, keeps showing the iso ultimate cd details.

I was going to do system restore to get student 07 back, but after opening and closing the cd rom about three times it come good.

Just got to contact microsoft now and sort out if the ultimate download is not 32 bit friendly!

G

why does when i run office 2007, like ms word or excel, a popout window says "not enough memory or disk space"? i have 50gig free in my hard disk, 1gig ram, running it on my compaq laptop with pentium dual core. pls help. thanks.

i don't wanna use openoffice because i dont like the interface and shortcuts. sorry guys. :p

G

I have Office 2007 on my Windows 7 64 bit without any problems.I don't like the interface of OpenOffice either. If you do want a free office suite that is really usable, I choose IBM Lotus Symphony. It's fast, compatible, and uses the same code as OpenOffice with a nicer interface.

uisuileabhain

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I am having exactly the same difficulty. I purchased Microsoft Office Home and Student. I have Windows 7 32 bit and when I attempt to install it freezes up. I tried the option to remove all previous installations (Office 2003) but it still freezes up.

I went to the MS Help site. They want the Product ID #. I can't get to it if it doesn't install.

What to do, what to do.....

G

Found a solution. Hey I had the same problem and it was new install of windows 7. I did not give a password for the user i created. After trying to reinstall for about 8 times i finally gave the administrator a password and the office 2007 finally installed. So make sure that whatever user you are logged in has a password and is an administrator.

G

dude...I know you aren't comparing an inferrior product like open office to the well polished capabilities of MO are you?

I installed and used OO on one of my computers and made a valiant attempt to see if it would "do the trick". Not happening my friend! Simple items like mail merge in writer are very clunky, as well as, building outlines with various levels. OO is okay if you don't have anything, but I would never recommend it to replace MO...Google Apps is even further behind, but at least that is web based.

G

Yep I am having the same problem. I installed office 2003 fine. The tried to upgrade to 2007 now nothing will work and when I try to uninstall, the system says I do have administrator rights. Anyone know of a quick fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.