Installing Microsoft Office 2007 (any version) on Windows 7

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I am trying to install Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 on Windows 7 (actually, re-install it) and I am having a big problem.... it keeps on freezing a little more than halfway through the install and then stops for about 30 minutes, then tells me that it 'encountered an error' (doesn't even give an error number!) and exits out.

Is anyone else having this problem? If so, have you been able to fix and how? I've gone through the registry deleting every mention of Microsoft Office on the first computer I had this problem on and tried installing it on a clean install on my old computer, which gave me the same problem exactly.

Microsoft really needs to do some quality control, I know it's just a beta, but if their OWN SOFTWARE doesn't install correctly on it..... it shouldn't have been released even as a beta.

G

I have installed Office Home and Student 2007 on my Windows 7 pc and it keeps coming up with a program compatibility troubleshooter that suggests I change the settings to Windows XP (service pack 2) compatibility mode. Should I save and use this setting for all the Office programs? Why isn't Office 2007 immediately compatible with Windows 7?!

amirek

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

This worked for me! I tried everything else under the sun, and Microsoft refused to help with my issue unless I paid for it. I'm a happy camper! Thanks! :)

ddbabes

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
OK, guys my particular problem occurred after uninstalling office 2010 beta. I could not install office 2007. It would get about two thirds of the way through the install before just freezing up. I have windows 7 and really have enjoyed the new OS, but this was driving me up the wall. the uninstaller that is available was of no help, and whenever the install began my processor usage went 100% and sat there forever. However, I did manage to install it, by doing the following but i do not know in which order. It is a good note that I can go back and reverse what i did to get my computer back uptodate, but here it is.

While i had the office installer running, I uninstalled the windows updates from 1/28/10 onwards, i uninstalled the antivirus and turned off the firewall. Then the thing that really made me laugh was when i turned off the theme service and noticed an immediate difference. Now it could be just windows themes, so try that first, but go ahead and stop all unneccesary services too. It worked for me. nothing i found online seemed to help, so i just decided to give it all one last shot before reformatting, and well hey it worked. Hope this helps

G

My kids had a similar problem and they said they solved it once they had the right installer.
Make sure you have the correct Windows Installer.
Microsoft Office Professional uses a different installer file than Home & Student 2007.

Perhaps it is advisable to run Microsoft Update after loading your Windows 7 program and before loading your Office 2007 home & student program, as any bugs that may have already been worked on will be uploaded to your machine. Hope you have highspeed.

If you have a preinstalled program on your new computer, you will likely have to uninstall some of the trial versions of office that came with it. Preinstalled programs cause people lots of nightmares and is likely the main reason Windows 7 came out as a clean operating system.

If you are installing from a Operating System brand new disk, it should be easier.
Make sure you have the correct Product ID code on the yellow sitcker.
Don't lose that code or you'll be sorry. Keep your disks in a safe place and write down the code carefully in several locations where you can find it.

Have a look here too.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304498

Hope this helps somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.