Installing more ram caused graphics error

dantheman_74

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
hi there,
I have just built a new pc.

AMD Phenom 9950 Quad
GA-MA790GP-UD4H inbuilt ATI Radeon HD 3300
Kingston HyperX DDR2 KHX8500D2T 1K2 x 2.

I installed Vista Ultimate 64 bit and everything works fine.
Then i installed 4GB more ram. Kingston HyperX DDR2 KHX8500D2T 1K2 x 2 exactly the same that i already had.
Now the graphics driver comes up with error 43 and a generic windows driver vgasafe has loaded.
Checked bios and tested with the couple of graphics options available - no good.
Took out original ram (leaving 4gb new ram) all works ok.

Can anyone give me some advice?
Regards
Dan

run mem test
test the 2 new sticks, see if theyre any good, find the bad one, removing each one til you do, since its probably the new ones start with those 2 then 1 etc
http://www.memtest.org/

dantheman_74

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Hi jaydeejohn,
I ran memtest86 and using its defaults, did not pick up any errors in the ram.
I played around with the settings a little. when i went to memory sizing and selected (2) bios-all, many error messages came up. when it was set to (1) bios-std no errors were found.
Am i using this software correctly?
Many Thanks
dan

In essence, using the default should pick up any faulty memory. Using the other tests on some mobos can be problematic as stated here:
"Two additional options are available through online configuration options. The first option (BIOS-All) also uses the "e820" method to obtain a memory map. However, when this option is selected all of the reserved memory segments are tested, regardless of what their intended use is. The only exception is memory segments that begin above 3GB. Testing has shown that these segments are typically not safe to test. The BIOS-All option is more thorough but could be unstable with some motherboards."

http://www.memtest86.com/#trouble

At this point, it appears to be more of a mobo/memory allotment/bios problem. Check with your mobo maker to make sure running all memory slots and 6GBs of ram is supported, either with your board or bios, and google for Vista 64 6gigs of ram for your board.

Its all I can recommend at this point, unless someone else has more info

dantheman_74

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Hi again,
Problem is resolved.
I downloaded latest driver and catalyst software from ATI website.
Installed and all is now ok.

Thankyou muchly for your help. its nice to know there are good humans in the world!

Cheers
Dan