Installing more RAM

Drokin_53

Reputable
Feb 10, 2016
I have two 4GB sticks of DDR3 RAM.
these have served me well but I am looking to purchase more ram for my computer as to help boost my computers performance.
I was going to buy two MORE 4GB sticks of DDR3 RAM to put into my computer but a colleague of mine made me aware that my computer may not accept the RAM, I'm not sure why it wouldn't but i was wondering if someone could help give advice?
I have checked and I definitely have 4 slots for RAM (two currently in use)

For those who are wondering, these are the other specs of my computer;

Motherboard:
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z77-D3H

Graphics:
3072MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

CPU:
Intel Core i5 3570 @ 3.40GHz

Solution
Mixing DRAM is a crap shoot, even if you get another set of the same exact model - there are no guarantees. You can look through the forums and find thread after thread of people trying to mix DRAM sets with problem after problem

User666

Reputable
Sep 27, 2015
if the two ram sticks came in a bundle(2x4gb pack), then buy EXACTLY THE SAME BUNDLE OF THE SAME BRAND. make sure that everythig is same. worked well for me

P.S. if this helps, pls pick this as solution, it helps a lot.

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
You can never guarantee that different RAM will work with existing RAM, although there are some things you can do that may get them to work together if they don't work out the box.

Can you tell us what motherboard and RAM you have just now and we can advice you on what to get to give you a good chance of success. They don't necessarily have to be same brand and same model to work together as my current setup will testify to.

I should also mention that for the vast majority of games and tasks you probably won't notice any difference between 4GB and 8GB. There are probably better upgrades you can make to see boost in performance but it all depends on your budget.

game junky

Distinguished
Sometimes, different manufacturers and timing speeds can be incompatible. I agree with User - if you can find the same kit you purchased before, get an identical set. That motherboard supports 32GB so they're expecting you to use all 4 slots and I will support 8GB sticks.

8GB is great for most purposes, though there are some games that will chew up whatever system resources you give it so if you can afford to get to 16GB it's nice to not have to think about RAM being a limiting factor. If it's a workstation, it's nice for SQL and virtualization as well

User666

Reputable
Sep 27, 2015
and drokin_53, rubmac is also right. more ram does not "boost" your pc's performance if it doesnt use it. seeing ur pc specs,you might not need more ram if ur not multitasking and gaming/streaming at the same time.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Mixing DRAM is a crap shoot, even if you get another set of the same exact model - there are no guarantees. You can look through the forums and find thread after thread of people trying to mix DRAM sets with problem after problem

Solution