Installing more than 2 ram modules causes crash.

Apr 22, 2018
I have 4 ram modules all 8 gigs from Kingston ( KVR1333D3N9/8G) 1333 MHZ, 1.5v and they are obviously the same. The mobo is an M5A97 ASUS and the problem I get is that if I install more than 2 sticks and try running memtester, I get errors running it or even worse, crashes, freezes. I've tried all the modules separately in all four slots, 16 tests total and nothing was wrong.

This was the command I used in Linux for testing them

sudo memtester 100M 2

Any suggestions?

Apr 22, 2018

Well, three of them were bought together, 1 of them wasn't; but I did test the 3 that were bought from the same place on newegg and those too failed when all three were installed. The only difference seems to be the serial number on them, they have the same form (physical) timings, etc.

So that's a triple channel kit?

Anyway it's sliced you need to purchase a quad channel kit. Combining sticks will usually work but you're part of the 10% that end up here when it doesn't. The RAM is not defective. The installation procedure is.

What does the motherboard manual say? Is it a dual channel board? RAM is installed by multiples of 2. You installed 3.

Learning experiences.....

Apr 22, 2018

I'm guessing it's a dual channel board from this page http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/asus-m5a97-r20-motherboard/3/

Anyways, I did mix 2 of the sticks that have different serial numbers and that worked fine with memtester. I'm pretty sure all 4 of the sticks are similar though. I read somewhere else that the supplied voltage might not be enough? Could that be a problem. I'm not sure how to tweak the voltage though, wouldn't want to fry something.

Kit.

Apr 22, 2018

I think I solved it. In the ASUS bios utility there's the option to switch from normal mode to turbo and that has allowed me to install 3 sticks with no errors from memtester using the same command I mentioned previously!