Installing Motherboard/GPU drivers: CD vs. Website

Onesent

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
I have just received all the parts to build my first computer. But, before I dive into it, I was wondering what the recommended method is for installing the drivers for the motherboard and video card?

Here they are for reference:

MOBO: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/B75MA-E33.html#/?div=Detail
GPU: http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N650Ti-TF-2GD5-OC-BE.html#/?div=Overview

Both come with an individual disc for installing the drivers, but I'm almost certain they will be outdated (especially the GPU).

Being a little OCD and wanting to be as thorough as possible with this build, would you guys recommend that I:

1. Install the drivers that came with the discs first and then download the latest drivers from the MSI/Nvidia website afterwards?

2. Forget about the discs and just get the drivers straight from the website instead?

If I don't use the discs, could there be any potential complications or conflicts later on down the road?

Solution
Use the discs for the MB drivers. Windows may or may not auto-detect and install the network adapter driver, which you'll need working before you can get anything from the web. You're best off getting the GPU drivers from the web. Ultimately it's going to update everything from the web anyway. The only possible complication from skipping the discs is Windows doesn't automatically load the right driver, or it chooses a generic driver that doesn't utilize the full features of a component.

One thing to watch out for on the discs is various utilities which you may or may not want - some of them are junk. However, MSI Afterburner is a very good GPU control/monitoring utility that is worth installing. The MSI driver auto-update utility...
Download the drivers from the manufactures website would be the best. However as for motherboard drivers most of them are provided from Windows itself and thus are not really needed. There are a few exceptions but for example my Asus Z77 Sabertooth did not need any drivers at all for the motherboard running Windows 8.1. All I needed was my Sound Card drivers for my Sound Blaster Real3D and my Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI. Beyond that everything else was found by the OS.

Weather you need the disc's for anything really depend on the motherboard. For instance you may need the network card drivers to get on the net the first time things like that. But in general most of those are part of Windows driver database already.

truprecht

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Use the discs for the MB drivers. Windows may or may not auto-detect and install the network adapter driver, which you'll need working before you can get anything from the web. You're best off getting the GPU drivers from the web. Ultimately it's going to update everything from the web anyway. The only possible complication from skipping the discs is Windows doesn't automatically load the right driver, or it chooses a generic driver that doesn't utilize the full features of a component.

One thing to watch out for on the discs is various utilities which you may or may not want - some of them are junk. However, MSI Afterburner is a very good GPU control/monitoring utility that is worth installing. The MSI driver auto-update utility that came with my HD7950 GPU was total non-functioning crap.

Solution