Installing motherboard USB drive alignment

Componentgirl90

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015
I have been installing a new motherboard and I wanted to check with the experts (aka you guys) about an alignment issue.

There are 6 USB ports on the back and 4 of them say USB 3 and when I insert a USB drive in, then the silver metal bit goes all the way in, not a problem.

However, the silver bit shows a little bit when you insert it into the top two USB 2 ports, although its at a "flat" angle and not a funny angle, so could be normal. I was wondering if this is normal? The other ports (PS2 etc) look ever so slightly misaligned but everything still goes in. I tried inserting a USB drive into a laptop I have and these ports (probably USB 2) also have the silver bits sticking out a bit so it might be normal. I also don't get a feeling the connector is struggling to go in.

Solution

Understand.
It's a good ideal to hook up your motherboard outside the case to test its operation along with the CPU, RAM, and PSU. If you can do that, you could just test your USB keyboard or mouse in each port to check it out using just the BIOS.
Just a thought.

rchris

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014

Understand.
It's a good ideal to hook up your motherboard outside the case to test its operation along with the CPU, RAM, and PSU. If you can do that, you could just test your USB keyboard or mouse in each port to check it out using just the BIOS.
Just a thought.

Solution