Installing my old 780 with my new 980Ti (theoretically)

hkostbye

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
Hello!

I am planning to buy a new computer in July, however, I would like to scrap some parts from my old computer too, (HDDs, SSD, and of course, my GTX 780 that I bought last year.

My question is, is it in anyway useful after I buy my 980Ti? Can I dedicate it to focus on doing other things while my 980Ti focus on gaming?

If anyone is interested, here is the parts that i'm planning to buy;

Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224FB
Cooler Master Cosmos SE Midi Tower
Corsair RM850, 850W PSU
Intel Core i7-4790K
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII HERO, Socket-1150
HyperX Savage DDR3 2400MHz 16GB
MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB
Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5” SSD

Note: If I should just sell or put it aside, I would give it to my nephew and build him a PC. So it won't go to waste :)

mr91

Distinguished

I suggest you give it to your nephew - what resolution are you using?

mr91

Distinguished
As James Mason said you can use it as a PhysX however I doubt you will need to do that with such a powerful card.
If you don't have enough power just buy another 980 ti if that is a possibility.

I don't think you will have a problem with Batman @ 1080p or 1440p & if you're gaming at 4k then you might want to consider another 980 ti...

mr91

Distinguished
I have a Titan X that is just a little bit more powerful and it has no problems with the Metro series, the borderlands series and batman series.
I'm not sure if the 780 can help with the Witcher 3 however I don't think it would be worth it.

mr91

Distinguished

Hello :) I tend to play with 1920x1090 ressolution.
[/quotemsg]

You will have no problems with a 980 ti. The 780 will just be wasting energy lol