bwadleigh

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
I recently purchased a custom built computer without an operating system installed in it. The company said it has been checked to make sure everything works properly but when i put my windows 7 disk in, there is no response. Can someone please please help....?
P.S im a massive n00b. Please show me love hahah.

bucknutty

Distinguished
You probably have to set the computers bios to boot off of a DVD. By default it might be set to boot off the harddrive. If the hard drive is blank you typically get a blinking cursor.

When you turn the computer on it should run a short power on self test (POST) while it is posting there will be an option to hit a key for the boot menu. The key is different depending on the computer. In my case it is F8. You should then get a menu asking you what device to boot from. Pick DVD in the list and your install should start.

Also, the builder may have mucked up teh BIOS. Download a bootable USB diagnostic (liek the one on the corsair site) and see if that will boot.

Go into bios, reset to defaults, save.

Did the builder overclock or do any custom setup ?

Does the PC show the BIOS splash panel? Any error messages. Go into BIOS and turn on enhanced diagnostics so you see more error messages.

Go into BIOS and make sure the DVD drive is DETECTED.

And if you are running a pirate version of windows just buy a copy.

TRENDING THREADS