[SOLVED] Installing new 2.5" SSD - Should I Keep Old mSATA SSD for Programme Specific Cache

CableWaves

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
My desktop PC came with a 32GB mSATA SSD to provide caching for the HDD which I believe is managed by Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST). The PC only has one HDD and the 32GB mSATA SSD.

I'm installing a new 2.5" 1TB SSD and will be freshly installing my Windows 10 and all programmes onto it rather than cloning.

At one point I came across a post suggesting the 32GB mSATA should be removed but then I came across a post here on TH where it's mentioned that it can be used for cache for specific programmes.

My question is about the process to follow when installing the new SSD and fresh Windows install, specifically around how to make sure the 32GB SSD cache is no longer in RAID 0 and 'linked' with the HDD. Is it a case that once I go into the BIOS to change from RAID to AHCI that this will 'dis-engage' the 32GB mSATA SSD from being used as cache for the HDD? Or is it dis-engaged from being used as cache when I disable IRST and/or uninstall IRST?

And to double check, am I correct that there is no point is trying to use the 32GB SSD cache for the new 2.5" SSD nor the old HDD? As in, having the OS and all programmes installed on the new 2.5" SSD negates the need to have the 32GB mSATA cache?

Solution
Correct...don't use it for a cache for the new SSD or HDD. Serves no purpose.

Turn off all that RAID/IRST functionality
Disconnect the 32GB mSATA drive
Install OS on the new SSD

Later, reconnect that little thing, and you can use it as the cache drive for things like photo image/video/CAD applications.

Lutfij

Titan
What would the make and models of both SSD's be? We could also use more information with your desktop specs. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Ideally I'd use the smaller SSD as a scratch disk space, if you're working with Adobe's Illustrator and Photoshop platforms. Outside of that using an SSD as a cache for another SSD is absurd, frankly. You could re-purpose it for use of installing app's on it or maybe a game but keep in mind that an SSD's performance drops when you fill it past the 50% mark and if your introduce partitions on any SSD(small or big in capacity).

I recently worked on an Asus GL551VW laptop that had a slot for an mSata SSD, which was empty but I proposed that the user buy a 128GB or higher drive as a scratch disk. If the laptop was going to be used for gaming(and not productivity) I'd have suggested getting a larger SSD for that slot and have it as a game library drive. FYI, due to the pandemic, I've put all orders from out of country on hold(since I can't find the mSata SSD I need for that laptop), which is why it's set as phase two for that laptop work.

Something to think about.

USAFRet

Titan
Correct...don't use it for a cache for the new SSD or HDD. Serves no purpose.

Turn off all that RAID/IRST functionality
Disconnect the 32GB mSATA drive
Install OS on the new SSD

Later, reconnect that little thing, and you can use it as the cache drive for things like photo image/video/CAD applications.

Solution

CableWaves

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
Cheers for rapid replies. Seems like best thing to do as mentioned and use it as a scratch disk.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @3.40GHz
Motherboard: Dell 0KWVT8 Motherboard, version A14
Ram: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs
HDD: 2TB HDD ST2000DM 4 (I believe this is Seagate)
SSD mSATA: LiteOnit LMT-32L3M 32GB
New SSD: 1TB Crucial MX500
GPU: GTX 650 Ti
PSU: Dell D460 AM-02 PSU (460W)

CableWaves

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
I have installed the 2.5" SSD and all went smoothly.

However, when putting the 32GB mSATA SSD back in it isn't listed as an available drive and Adobe software isn't picking it up as a drive to select as a scratch disk.

It is picked up when checking in BIOS and it is showing in Device Manager.

Is there something I need to do to make this mSATA 'visible' and usable?

USAFRet

Titan
I have installed the 2.5" SSD and all went smoothly.

However, when putting the 32GB mSATA SSD back in it isn't listed as an available drive and Adobe software isn't picking it up as a drive to select as a scratch disk.

It is picked up when checking in BIOS and it is showing in Device Manager.

Is there something I need to do to make this mSATA 'visible' and usable?
Does it appear in Disk Management?

CableWaves

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
Ah! Bingo! When opening Disk Management I get a pop-up saying I need to initialise a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it.

It's giving me the option of MBR (Master Boot Record) or GPT (GUID Partition Table). It says "Note: The GPT partition style is not recognised by all previous versions of Windows".

A quick Google and it looks like GPT is the way to go?

USAFRet

Titan
Ah! Bingo! When opening Disk Management I get a pop-up saying I need to initialise a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it.

It's giving me the option of MBR (Master Boot Record) or GPT (GUID Partition Table). It says "Note: The GPT partition style is not recognised by all previous versions of Windows".

A quick Google and it looks like GPT is the way to go?
Yes, GPT.
New Simple Volume, Format, give a drive letter.