[SOLVED] Installing new (2nd) SSD leads to windows not Booting

Jan 6, 2021
Hi! I have a Aorus B450 elite motherboard which currently has a 500gb 970 EVO plus SSD in it and an HDD. I bought a 1TB 970 EVO to put in the second M.2. slot in my motherboard. It fits but gives me the following error: ''Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key''. When I put the new SSD out it works (I tried this 2 times). The BIOS does recognize the new 970 EVO.

What I've tried (with both SSD's in):
- restart and hold CTRL+ALT+DEL
-restart and press F12 -> pick the 500gb 970 EVO plus (on which windows is installed)
-restart and press DEL -> checked BIOS, priorities and #1 is the 500gb SSD, as it should
-restart and press DEL -> checked ''save and exit'', selected "Load optimized Defaults"

None of these worked. Does anyone know what might be the problem? Is the SSD broken and should I return it?

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
2 factors:

1. When you installed the original OS on the SSD< was the HDD also connected? If so, the System Reserved boot partition ended up on the HDD. Nothing you selected, it just happens.
  2. Use of the new 970 in the M.2 port almost certainly disables one or more SATA ports on the motherboard. Section 1-7 in your user manual shows the allowable configs.

The 'fix' may be as easy as moving the SATA data connection for the HDD to a different SATA port on the motherboard.
Look up that section in the user manual, and try that.

Jan 6, 2021
2 factors:

1. When you installed the original OS on the SSD< was the HDD also connected? If so, the System Reserved boot partition ended up on the HDD. Nothing you selected, it just happens.
  2. Use of the new 970 in the M.2 port almost certainly disables one or more SATA ports on the motherboard. Section 1-7 in your user manual shows the allowable configs.
The 'fix' may be as easy as moving the SATA data connection for the HDD to a different SATA port on the motherboard.
Look up that section in the user manual, and try that.

Thanks for your reply!

1. I have had this PC built, so idk. Is there something I can do about it in the software/Windows?
  2. Alright, I checked the manual and saw in a table that the cable of the HDD should be in the SATA3 0/1/2/3 when using both M.2. slots (I actually misread and put it in the ASATA3 0/1 while it was in a correct port already. So me putting it in the other obviously – though unfortunately – didn't work..). I do have 2 other SATA3 0/1/2/3 ports so I'll try to put it in one of those (though I'm not expecting much since it did work with 1 SSD)
I'll keep you updated but I'm unsure what to do if it doesn't work (as I didn't build it you can guess I'm really a newbie at this stuff)

Jan 6, 2021
According to your manual....being you have both M2 slots populated....

SATA3 2
SATA3 3
ASATA3 0
ASATA3 1

^^^^all not available.

SATA3 0
SATA3 1

available
That's what I saw (but initially misread) too. On the 1-7 section it shows (10) is SATA3 0/1/2/3 and that I have 3 of those (2 in the bottom right, 1 in the block a bit above that). Intitally it was in the top one, I accidently put it in (9). I was planning to try to put it in one of the other (10) down in bottom, though I'm inclined to think it's the same?

Jan 6, 2021
After looking at the manual.....that SATA3 0 and SATA3 1.....which are what you want your HDD connected to....are on TOP of the board....not on the side.
Thanks a lot for taking a look! Though what do you mean with "on top"? I can see all 3 of the (10) on the side of the board (the 2 on the bottom right are there on the side). Or have I missed something?

Solution
Jan 6, 2021
I am looking at the manual for the B450 AORUS ELITE PAGE4.
You can get it here.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-1x/support#support-manual
It looks like SATA3 0 and SATA3 1 are on TOP of the MB.
Thanks so much! I´m writing this on my PC with both SSD´s installed (I just have to do the software stuff now). I understand what you mean with on top, since the other one was indeed put on the side and page 4 does say the one on the side is 2/3 while the others are 0/1.

I really appreciate both of you for helping me out, thanks again! :)