Installing new DVD-RW drive. Keep existing CD-RW drive?

sbn

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2004

I have a Dimension 4100 that came with a Sony CD-RW drive with average
specs. I have purchased a Plextor PX-712 DVD drive to add to the
system which has superior specs for CD-RW. I can't imagine ever using
the old CD burner again. Is there any reaon to keep it? The existing
drive has a cable running directly to the motherboard, so replacing
rather than adding a drive would eliminate master/slave issues. Also,
there is an audio connector running from the existing Sony to the
sound card but I have no idea how to add the Plextor to the card short
of borrowing the cable already in use with the Sony. Do I even need
this connection? I'm inclined to replace the older Sony with the
Plextor, however I'd appreciate any comments.

You can lose the old Sony as well as the sound card molex from the drive
(analog).

The new drive should work fine in place of the old and without the cable.

Stew

"SBN" <sbn@foobox.net> wrote in message
>I have a Dimension 4100 that came with a Sony CD-RW drive with average
> specs. I have purchased a Plextor PX-712 DVD drive to add to the
> system which has superior specs for CD-RW. I can't imagine ever using
> the old CD burner again. Is there any reaon to keep it? The existing
> drive has a cable running directly to the motherboard, so replacing
> rather than adding a drive would eliminate master/slave issues. Also,
> there is an audio connector running from the existing Sony to the
> sound card but I have no idea how to add the Plextor to the card short
> of borrowing the cable already in use with the Sony. Do I even need
> this connection? I'm inclined to replace the older Sony with the
> Plextor, however I'd appreciate any comments.

eBay the Sony