[SOLVED] Installing new M.2 drive results in computer not booting to Windows

CanadaPlays

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
(hope this is the right place)

A few weeks ago I saw a M.2 drive on flash sale for cheap, and bought it. When it came in and I installed it, I was hit with "Preparing Automatic Repair" which I wasn't too bothered by, since every time my PC loses power my boot settings get reset. When I entered my UEFI setup to fix it, I noticed none of my boot options were actually there. In my UEFI setup I can tell it to force SATA so I can still use my computer, but that makes it ignore the M.2 stick. And if I make it force M.2, both of my HDD drives get ignored for booting.

Is there some simple reason this isn't working, and if so is there a fix? I didn't really spend too much on the M.2 so I wont be too miffed if it doesn't work.

I'm really tired so I'm sorry if something didn't make sense. I'll be around to give more information if it's needed

things i dont think are important to the post are omitted

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-30)
Motherboard
ASRock Z97X Killer (CPUSocket)
Graphics
6144MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (EVGA)
Storage
465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 (SATA )
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKX-22ERMA0 (SATA )
256GB ADATA SU800 (M.2) {Speccy didn't pick this up, but adding it so you know what M.2 im using)

Solution
Check page 90 of your motherboard manual. You should be able to use your M.2 socket if you move your HDD's to different SATA sockets. Enabling the M.2 socket on your motherboard disables "SATA3_4, SATA3_5". You just need to plug the HDD's to SATA3_1, SATA3_2, SATA3_3 or SATA3_6.

** The M.2 Socket, SATA3_4, SATA3_5 and SATA Express share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.
Check page 90 of your motherboard manual. You should be able to use your M.2 socket if you move your HDD's to different SATA sockets. Enabling the M.2 socket on your motherboard disables "SATA3_4, SATA3_5". You just need to plug the HDD's to SATA3_1, SATA3_2, SATA3_3 or SATA3_6.

** The M.2 Socket, SATA3_4, SATA3_5 and SATA Express share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

Solution

CanadaPlays

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016

Alrighty, I'll give that a try right now

CanadaPlays

Reputable
Jun 27, 2016
I've tried it, and now it doesn't ignore my hard drives (both happened to be in those slots). My mobo is recognizing the M.2 as being there as well, but it won't show up in windows when I boot the PC.