[SOLVED] Installing new m2 SSd on already installed m2 slot.

Oct 22, 2019
Hi, my laptop is Asus rog gl502vs ds71 which I bought few years ago.
Now I would like to upgrade the m2 ssd in my laptop. It currently has the hynix 128gb m.2 ssd which was installed by the manufacturer when I bought it.
I'm looking at the Samsung 970 Evo plus 1TB but I have a few questions.
  1. There is already a m2 ssd installed with the windows 10 on it so when I take it out and plug in the new one, will I be able to run the windows at all?
  2. How should I migrate the windows in the old ssd to the new ssd if my laptop only has 1 slot of m2 ssd?
Thank you.

Solution
To answer both you will probably have to do a clean install of Windows 10. Its pretty simple. As for migrating any data I would recommend buying an external HDD and backing everything important up to it, install the new M2 SSD and as said doing a clean windows 10 install.
To answer both you will probably have to do a clean install of Windows 10. Its pretty simple. As for migrating any data I would recommend buying an external HDD and backing everything important up to it, install the new M2 SSD and as said doing a clean windows 10 install.

Solution
Oct 22, 2019
Hi, the hynix is sata 3 m.2. I do have an external ssd which is 500gb. If I do a clean install of windows 10, when I take out the old m.2 ssd and put in the new one, how will it response? I mean will I have to boot from usb or anything like that? Thank you so much.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi, the hynix is sata 3 m.2. I do have an external ssd which is 500gb. If I do a clean install of windows 10, when I take out the old m.2 ssd and put in the new one, how will it response? I mean will I have to boot from usb or anything like that? Thank you so much.
In this instance, just do a clean OS install on the new drive. Don't migrate it.

Seeing as your current drive is a SATA III, have you verified that the laptop can take an NVMe drive?