Installing new MoBo, CPU, RAM

wir

Apr 17, 2018
My Motherboard stopped working so I have had to buy a whole new bundle as I couldnt find the same motherboard. (old)
As it was a sudden not working anymore, I didnt manage to do any back ups! (Same old story!)
The internal harddrive will be the same as will the graphic card and power supply.
I had some open chrome tabs which I didnt have backed up and I would like to have they back as I had it before it stopped working. Is that possible? I was logged into chrome. When I open chrome on another device I do not however find these open tabs as I used to.

My next question is with Microsoft outlook 2010. The automatic backups were not backed up to the external HDD as it was full.
If I am using the same internal harddrive can I just plugg that in and get everything back as it was?
I hope my question is not too confusing. I donot want to lose my Microsoft Emails, sent emails and stored emails-
Thanks for any help I can get.
Paula

USAFRet

Titan
With a completely different motherboard, you are likely to need a whole new OS install.
It might work with the original drive and OS, but it might not.

It's too late now to consider any sort of backup.

Get the new parts.
Plug it all in.
See if it boots up.

If it does, great.
If not...oh well.

What OS is this? Licensing issues may come into play.

wir

Apr 17, 2018
Ok. Thank you. I will just have to try.
I have windows 10 as a free upgrade from windows 7.
How do I boot up from the original harddrive?
Thanks
Paula

USAFRet

Titan

If the original system were still working, I'd have a list of steps for you to prepare for this.

But as its dead...all you can do is hope...:ange:

Put the system together.
Power on.
See if it works.
Don't be surprised if it fails completely. It might work though.

wir

Apr 17, 2018
Ok Thanks.
Yet again I get caught out not making proper back ups!

Hi,
Yeah sorry about the Specs.
OLD:
ASRock Z68 Pro3
Intel i3 2500
Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3

NEW:
ASUS PRIME B250-PLUS ATX - Skt 1151
Intel Kaby Lake i3 7100
G.Skill DIMM 16GB DDR4-2400 Kit (2x8GB)

From OLD to be used with NEW:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB
ASUS Graphic card
Power Supply LC6600GP2

Windows 10 free upgrade from Windows 7 CD

Does that help?

Thanks Paula

wir

Apr 17, 2018
Ok Thanks.
If I put a different harddrive in to do a clean install, could I connect the old one afterwards to get my unsaved microsoft outlook data by booting the system afterwards to the old harddrive?
Thank you.
Paula

USAFRet

Titan

If you do it that way, you won't 'boot' from the old drive.
It will simply be a secondary drive, with its own drive letter.
You should be able to maybe retrieve your data off that drive.

Outlook, it depends on exactly how your Outlook is set up.

You'd have a new Outlook client with the new OS (you need to install it along with all your other applications), but you might be able to point the Outlook client at the old Outlook data file.,

wir

Apr 17, 2018
Hi.
The trouble is these are windows folders and if I change the name I dont know if they will work, plus there are hundreds of them and I am not even sure where they are, so I would have to stop all the other copying and do it all over again. it has already taken 8 hours and there is not way to tell what has been copied and what hasnt!

ms:displayname=Suchergebnisse%20in%20"Windows"&crumb=location:G%3A%5CWindows\wow64_microsoft-windows-r..t-v2-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.16299.15_en-us_672fe277115598ec

as an example
Paula