Question Installing new motherboard

Dec 28, 2022
Hi all, I'm a total idiot when it comes to this stuff so please forgive me as this is my first PC build...

Speaking of which, right now it looks like this.

PC.jpg

I obviously don't plan on keeping it that way. I bought a Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF PC for gaming not really knowing what I was getting into. I quickly realized it didn't quite do everything I wanted so I set on upgrading it, but the case is a huge limitation. So I'm case swapping it. The motherboard as I'm sure you all know is proprietary, so I need a new one to get it into a standard ATX case. I know, I should have just built this from the ground up but I've got what I've got so I'm making the best of it. But this is the deepest I've ever gone into PC building so I want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Current specs:
Dell 9020 motherboard
Intel I5 4590
16 GB RAM (not sure of brand, 4GB x 4)
120 GB SSD
1TB HDD
NVIDIA RTX 2060 12GB
Seasonic SSP-650W PSU
Windows 10 Professional

It actually runs really good on ultra settings in everything I play, but yeah...I can't keep it like that.

I'm swapping to an ASUS H97-Plus motherboard for the swap. Also adding another 800 GB SSD because seriously...120 GB? And it all is going in a Rosewill case from Newegg.

My question is mostly related to the motherboard swap, everything else seems pretty straightforward considering I've gotten this far tearing into the thing. I plan on just moving all components to the new case, dropping my current CPU into the new motherboard, hooking everything up, and hitting the on button. From what I've read Windows should figure out the new motherboard, install some drivers, then boot as normal and possibly ask me to log in to my Microsoft account to reactivate the license. Am I off here? And is there anything else I should do or watch out for? Last thing I want to do is turn it into a (growingly expensive) brick.

USAFRet

Titan
So in reality, you're building a whole new PC.

Case, PSU, motherboard, SSD...all new.

From what I've read Windows should figure out the new motherboard, install some drivers, then boot as normal and possibly ask me to log in to my Microsoft account to reactivate the license.
Yeah, no.

Be prepared for a full wipe and reinstall. Especially coming from a proprietary Dell to a new motherboard.

Swapping the motherboard and using the old drive_OS, 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
Here, I'd expect 2 or 3.
And with the new SSD (make/model?), you'd be doing a fresh install anyway, right?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
To be fair, you will pay more for the motherboard you need for that 4th gen that picking a value option in something like a 10th gen i3, which will also perform better. Obviously, that would also entail new RAM and perhaps even OS license. So, as far as doing what you are attempting you seem to be on the right track.

Make sure to tie the OS you have on this Dell to your MS account before making changes, as you mention. I would consider doing a clean re-install just to help keep bugs away.

Dec 28, 2022
So in reality, you're building a whole new PC.

Case, PSU, motherboard, SSD...all new.

Yeah, no.

Be prepared for a full wipe and reinstall. Especially coming from a proprietary Dell to a new motherboard.

Swapping the motherboard and using the old drive_OS, 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
Here, I'd expect 2 or 3.
And with the new SSD (make/model?), you'd be doing a fresh install anyway, right?

Basically, yeah, new PC...

It started out piece by piece but now it's come to this.

I had planned on just leaving Windows as is on the 120 GB SSD but using the new one for faster storage. And sorry the new SSD is a Dell OCZ.

Looks like I've got more research to do...

USAFRet

Titan
Basically, yeah, new PC...

It started out piece by piece but now it's come to this.

I had planned on just leaving Windows as is on the 120 GB SSD but using the new one for faster storage. And sorry the new SSD is a Dell OCZ.

Looks like I've got more research to do...
Install the OS on this new larger drive.

Anyone who says Win10 will always figure out a motherboard swap is sadly deluded.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails.

Dec 28, 2022
Install the OS on this new larger drive.

Anyone who says Win10 will always figure out a motherboard swap is sadly deluded.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it fails.

So I found your thread on doing a clean install of windows from a flash drive, thanks for that...

As far as wiping the old drive, I'm guessing I need to wait to do that until after the new drive has been successfully booted and everything hooked back up? And I should probably have drivers for the new motherboard on a separate flash drive in case there are issues?

USAFRet

Titan
So I found your thread on doing a clean install of windows from a flash drive, thanks for that...

As far as wiping the old drive, I'm guessing I need to wait to do that until after the new drive has been successfully booted and everything hooked back up? And I should probably have drivers for the new motherboard on a separate flash drive in case there are issues?

Connect the 120GB long after everything is up and running on the new drive.
Wipe as desired.

And yes, having those drivers saved is a big help.