Question Installing new router with fiber optics

diegoneedhelp

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015
Hello guys and girls
I currently have a plan with Hotwire Communications and have fiber optics. The internet is fast and everything but the router they gave me is a piece of shit. It's a custom ZTE F689 that I can't access the settings under administrator because its locked according to hotwire. This has brought a lot of issues with my Phillips Hue, port forwarding and other stuff. Also the ethernet ports, 2 of them are inconsistent and break half of the time.

I want to buy a new router (I was looking at Asus RT-N12 as my budget isnt big) but the problem is I don't have any idea how to install it if I were to order it. How the router is setup is extremely weird and confusing. There is a fiber cable leading straight into the router (when disconnected even my tv goes down). Besides the main router there are 3 other router looking devices. There is a black what appears to be router (it says wifi approved in it) connected to a white unit with ZTE on it (i am guessing that's the modem) and then there's another tiny looking router also connected to the white unit with ZTE on it. The main big router with the fiber cable on it is also connected to the ZTE "modem". If I were to buy a router, where would i plug it in and how would it work. This has been giving me a headache since it keeps messing up my lights and stuff. I am good with computers but networking is not my strong point.

I read online to bridge my shitty router but it is not possible to do this on the online control settings, and i guarantee that if i call my isp they wont do it either.

If needed I will post pictures in the morning explaining it. Please help me lol

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
OK, does the fiber company know you want to get your own router? I have Verizon FIOS and I told them I want to use my own router and not theirs. I see two issues, the fiber goes to your house has to go in to a device called an ONT. It converts the fiber to either coax or ethernet. At that point it would go in to a router either from the company or your own.

I looked at the RT-N12 and it's a basic router but I'll get back to that. It sounds like you have TV with the fiber company? If you do, you have to use their router to get their TV service. You can add your own router in to this setup but it will take some network knowledge.

If you don't have TV with them you can use your own router and drop all their equipment, however you still need the ONT device. So since you said that you have multiple devices, I don't know which is which till I see it.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have a link to your current router model? If I google that model number I don't see anything. I'd say there's a good chance the Asus router you want to buy is significantly worse than the one you have, other than the fact that you'd have more control over it.

There is a fiber cable leading straight into the router (when disconnected even my tv goes down). Besides the main router there are 3 other router looking devices. There is a black what appears to be router (it says wifi approved in it) connected to a white unit with ZTE on it (i am guessing that's the modem) and then there's another tiny looking router also connected to the white unit with ZTE on it.
Am surprised the ISP is giving u all those boxes, they usually like one-box-does-all.

Typically you are looking at: Incoming Fiber ----> Fiber to ethernet converter -----> Modem -----> NAT device ------> WIFI. That's the logical sequence, functions can be at separate boxes or bundled.

TV gets its signal from the ISP too? that's totally new to me.

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Am surprised the ISP is giving u all those boxes, they usually like one-box-does-all.

Typically you are looking at: Incoming Fiber ----> Fiber to ethernet converter -----> Modem -----> NAT device ------> WIFI. That's the logical sequence, functions can be at separate boxes or bundled.

TV gets its signal from the ISP too? that's totally new to me.

Yes... Just like your cable TV provider provides your internet also, an ISP like Verizon can provide you with TV and phones.