[SOLVED] Installing new SSD 1TB

shermanbuck

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Hi, I'm installing a new primary Samsung SSD 1TB. and a new secondary Western HDD 4TB. Currently have a primary Samsung SSD 250gb, a secondary Seagate HDD 1TB, pluse an external Western backup drive 4 TB. Not sure how on steps to install new primary drive and secondary. Not sure if I can install new primary, then back up data from secondary to primary, then install new secondary? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
Which motherbd do you have?
You'll need a UEFI bios based motherbd to work with a drive larger then 2tb.

In any case, there's no reason not to start using the new SSD. Power off and then you can unplug the 1TB hdd and plug the 1TB SSD in it's place (don't screw it down) and use Magician to clone the 250 to it. When done, Power off and remove the 250 and place the 1TB SSD in it's place (screw it down now but don't connect the 1TB HDD)). Try and boot up now. If it can't , your boot sector & BCD may be on your 1TB HDD. Shutdown and reconnect that and boot back up. If it's successful then we have to move that stuff to the new SSD.

Your PC is usable for now.

A couple more questions:
Do you have more Sata ports you can use on your...

shermanbuck

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
I have the both the C & D drives backed up to the WD backup external drive. How would the Samsung migration software work? Would it be used to migrate the WD backup info to the new Samsung drive? Also, MS office and other software is saving all files to the secondary drive, and all data on the secondary is backed up. Once I remove the old Samsung and secondary HDD, will I need to do anything special to ensure the backup external drive will be readable to install backup files to the new secondary. I've got a ton of pictures and other valuable data I don't want to lose. And I don't know enough on how the external backup drive operates once I remove the old primary & secondary drives.

popatim

Titan
Which motherbd do you have?
You'll need a UEFI bios based motherbd to work with a drive larger then 2tb.

In any case, there's no reason not to start using the new SSD. Power off and then you can unplug the 1TB hdd and plug the 1TB SSD in it's place (don't screw it down) and use Magician to clone the 250 to it. When done, Power off and remove the 250 and place the 1TB SSD in it's place (screw it down now but don't connect the 1TB HDD)). Try and boot up now. If it can't , your boot sector & BCD may be on your 1TB HDD. Shutdown and reconnect that and boot back up. If it's successful then we have to move that stuff to the new SSD.

Your PC is usable for now.

A couple more questions:
Do you have more Sata ports you can use on your motherbd as well as an additional Sata cable and another Sata power connector (From your PSU)? - This would be to hook the 4TB up as a 3rd drive to transfer the stuff on the 1tb to it directly; otherwise we will need to use your external 4TB drive so please make sure you have enough free space on it if you have the cables or 3rd sata port.

Solution

shermanbuck

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
I've decided to do a clean install on the SSD. I'm going to install the new 4TB drive as a 3rd drive, transfer files over to that drive. The thing I'm not at all sure about, it once I install the new primary SSD, is there anything I need to do to ensure the secondary will still function as well as the external backup drive, as in if I want to retrieve files in their original location?