Andrew

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:37:22 +0000 (UTC), "shaman"
<shaman@jjb.networks.com> wrote:

>Do you need to remove previous versions? or just install over the top?

I always just install over the top, seems to work fine.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

shaman

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:37:22 +0000 (UTC), "shaman"
> <shaman@jjb.networks.com> wrote:
>
> >Do you need to remove previous versions? or just install over the top?
>
> I always just install over the top, seems to work fine.
> --

Thanks.

"shaman" <shaman@jjb.networks.com> wrote in message

> Do you need to remove previous versions? or just install over the top?

This is what I do (in order)...

1. Uninstall the old control panel (from add/remove programs)
2. Uninstall the old drivers (from add/remove programs)
3. Install the new drivers
4. Install the new control panel

Out of paranoia, I generally reboot after each step (which is what
should happen anyway when installing the new drivers).

> I always just install over the top, seems to work fine.

same here

"shaman" <shaman@jjb.networks.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Do you need to remove previous versions? or just install over the top?

ATI recommends that you remove the old ones first, and then restart.

If Windows prompts you to install new drivers, you cancel it, and then
install the new ones.

I follow their recommendations in order to avoid conflicts between the older
version, and the new one.

It's not that much more of a hassle, than to install over top of the
previous ones.

Henrik

Just to balance out the replies, I also uninstall and install. ATI, nVidia
and Matrox all recommend this. Look at it this way, even if you can get away
without doing it, at the very least you'll clean up old files that aren't
used anymore and maybe even some registry entries. It only takes 2 minutes
more to do it the way they recommend.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

"Henrik Stavnshøj" <hesta@nospam.dk> wrote in message
> "shaman" <shaman@jjb.networks.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> > Do you need to remove previous versions? or just install over the top?
>
> ATI recommends that you remove the old ones first, and then restart.
>
> If Windows prompts you to install new drivers, you cancel it, and then
> install the new ones.
>
> I follow their recommendations in order to avoid conflicts between the
older
> version, and the new one.
>
> It's not that much more of a hassle, than to install over top of the
> previous ones.
>
> Henrik

blah

Extract the files and there is a text file within the directory with the
same name as the *.exe in which the drivers were packed.
These have the instructions.