[SOLVED] Installing Nvidia GTX 770 in Acer Aspire i5

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Amateur here. I have an Acer Aspire, i5, 12GB, Intel graphics.

My brother gave me a GTX 770 (five years old) he wasn't using. I noticed the power supply did not have a PCI power supply connection. My brother said the card might work (he couldn't remember whether he plugged the PCI power in or not). The pc boots, beeps once, and the GTX fan starts, but that's it. Display says "No Signal" then goes black.

I'm assuming this is b/c of the missing PCI power connector. Please advise if this is the main problem or perhaps something else is causing it.

Thank you.

Solution
It's made because people are naive enough to buy them.

That model has a "300w" PSU(if you look at the specs though it is only rated for 240w where it counts) which is not enough to power a card like the GTX 770. The best card you could get with that PSU is the GTX 1650 as it uses less than 75w and does not require a pci-e power connector.

Luckily that case and motherboard use standard ATX connectors so you can replace the PSU with a better one of you want to use the 770. For a 770 you'll want a decent 550w PSU.

bignastyid

Titan
It's made because people are naive enough to buy them.

That model has a "300w" PSU(if you look at the specs though it is only rated for 240w where it counts) which is not enough to power a card like the GTX 770. The best card you could get with that PSU is the GTX 1650 as it uses less than 75w and does not require a pci-e power connector.

Luckily that case and motherboard use standard ATX connectors so you can replace the PSU with a better one of you want to use the 770. For a 770 you'll want a decent 550w PSU.

Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
Specifications for that system state a 300 watt power supply.
Specifications for the GTX 770 state a recommended 600 watt power supply.

You need a new power supply with at least 1x8-pin (6+2pin) PCIE power connector and 1x6-pin PCIE power connector in order to use that graphics card.

-Wolf sends

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Ok, I'll probably skip this whole thing then. This actually is not my pc but my parents, who use it mainly for printing and internet. They don't need a graphics card but I wanted to boost the system, and I use Blender and Unity on their pc (2 TB HDD excellent for saving big graphics files). The odd thing is the specs on Acer's page say this pc has an Nvidia card on it. This one doesn't. It has crappy Intel.

Thanks for the advice.