Installing old DirectX?

KoleTang

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013
I'm trying to get an old game to run on my PC (windows 8).

I found some troubleshooting threads on some other forum and it was recommended to pull DirectX 6 off the game's disc to get it to run.

I have found the DirectX 6 setup file on the disc. I just want to know before I install it, does installing DirectX 6 overwrite or mess with my current DirectX in any way?

Solution

It was the setup that it wouldn't let me open. Run as administrator wasn't showing up as an option either.

I went into the DX6 folder and found the missing DLL (d3drm.dll). I moved it over to the game's folder and it works now.

c3h8

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
You shouldn't have problems. Windows is REALLY good at keeping itself from making important changes. If the older app is needing DirectDraw support or direct hardware access Win8 won't let it. The recommended approach would be to search the forums (google) for other's with the same issue to see if it has been resolved. There may exist a software patch (usually community driven) which fixes the issue.

KoleTang

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013
I found a fan club/forum for the game with troubleshooting. They say to get it to run on Win. 8 you need to install DirectX 6 (fills in the missing d3drm.dll).

I just want to make sure it doesn't screw up my current DirectX.

c3h8

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Dll files are not setup files, they are system files.
Find the DirectX 6 setup (exe or msi) and install that.

You'll have to run the setup as administrator. Windows recognizes that you are trying to inject system files to the system directory. While admirable in terms of trying to keep you safe, rarely does it do anything but inconvenience you.

KoleTang

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

It was the setup that it wouldn't let me open. Run as administrator wasn't showing up as an option either.

I went into the DX6 folder and found the missing DLL (d3drm.dll). I moved it over to the game's folder and it works now.

Solution