Installing old HDD and SSD into new PC

Nov 10, 2018
I’ve just ordered a new PC and hope to install my old hard drives at least temporarily in order to transfer my old documents onto my new hard drives. Is there anything I need to be careful about when doing this? One of the hard drives has windows 7 on it, whilst my new PCs SSD will have Windows 10 installed. Will it give me an option on startup to select which OS to boot? Can I then just access all the drives I have plugged in through my computer?

Thanking you in advance for your help!

Solution

Your computer should be set up already to run off the Win10 SSD. Adding new hard drives shouldn't affect that. If it does, then note the brand and type of SSD your Win10 is on when you boot, and select that one.

You may have issues accessing...

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Depends on the default settings if it gives the options. Win7 will either run very poorly or not at all since all the drivers/settings are from your old computer. I'd recommend a clean install of it after you get everything moved over that you want if you have a desire for a dual boot setup

Lutfij

Titan
You will encounter an error(if you do get to boot off the Win 7 drive) after you get into GUI of your OS. You might want to look into an external HDD adapter to migrate data off the HDD onto the system. The drive that is devoid of any OS will be shown as a drive, just don't format it since you'll loose all data on it. Best first to check and see if the storage drives comes up in Disk Manager.

Mind sharing your specs of your system?

Nov 10, 2018
I have no desire to boot windows 7 but I may (or may not, as I can’t remember!) have other docs on the same drive that windows 7 is installed on.

My hope was to just plug all 3 of my old hard drives into my new PC and access the files within via windows explorer. Ita sounds like this should be no problem for the two drives which don’t have windows installed but I may have issues accessing the one that does?

I cannot back up onto an external drive as my old PC is fried!

New spec is:

Elite Z390 Pegasus Ti
System Base Price: £ 1332.50
Fractal Design Focus G Black Mid Tower Case [upg £ -42.50]
850W GameMax RGB Modular 80+ Gold Power Supply
ASUS TUF Intel Z390-PLUS GAMING 9th Gen ATX Motherboard
Intel® Core™ i7-9700K 8 Core Processor (3.60GHz) 12MB Cache
CoolerMaster Hyper H411R White LED CPU Cooler
16GB 3000MHz DDR4 (2x8GB) - Corsair Vengeance LPX
8GB GeForce® RTX 2070 Graphics Card
500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD [upg £ 77.50]
1TB SATA III 6GB/s 7200rpm 64MB Cache 8ms

Your computer should be set up already to run off the Win10 SSD. Adding new hard drives shouldn't affect that. If it does, then note the brand and type of SSD your Win10 is on when you boot, and select that one.

You may have issues accessing different parts of your old drives because of security settings in Win7.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS