[SOLVED] Installing old HDD in newer build

johnparkerallen

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017
Im upgrading my parents computer and they're keeping they're HDDs. Can I use my old CPU and mobo that were in my windows 10 comp with their HDDs that were in a windows 7 comp?

Solution
Backup their data before doing anything.

Swapping their hdd with Win7 and drivers installed for their current hardware to a different motherboard might work but there's a good chance it wont or if it works there will probably be problems and software/driver conflicts. Win7 will no longer be activated either and a chance it won't reactivate if it's an oem (Hp, Dell etc) license.

I recommend backup their data for safe keeping. Try the swap and if it works out good, try to activate Windows 7 on it. If Microsoft doesn't accept activation via internet method, try your luck calling them.

It is legal to run Win10 for free with cosmetic restrictions, perhaps look into it. There's an How to installation guide for Win10 sticky in the Win10...

johnparkerallen

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017
You're not making any sense. First you say your parents are keeping their HDDs. Then you ask if you can use a CPU and mobo with their HDDs.
Making a whole new build using my old CPU and mobo, but keeping the same HDDs from their old windows 7 desktop. I was running windows 10 on with the old CPU and mobo. Just trying to figure out if there would be a clash

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Swapping their hdd with Win7 and drivers installed for their current hardware to a different motherboard might work but there's a good chance it wont or if it works there will probably be problems and software/driver conflicts. Win7 will no longer be activated either and a chance it won't reactivate if it's an oem (Hp, Dell etc) license.

I recommend backup their data for safe keeping. Try the swap and if it works out good, try to activate Windows 7 on it. If Microsoft doesn't accept activation via internet method, try your luck calling them.

It is legal to run Win10 for free with cosmetic restrictions, perhaps look into it. There's an How to installation guide for Win10 sticky in the Win10 forums here.

Btw, Win7's support ends in 2020, so no more security updates etc If they do any sort of banking on their pc or use Fasebook i would probably think about getting them used to Win10 soon, an opportunity to start now.

Solution

johnparkerallen

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017

It is legal to run Win10 for free with cosmetic restrictions, perhaps look into it. There's an How to installation guide for Win10 sticky in the Win10 forums here.

Btw, Win7's support ends in 2020, so no more security updates etc If they do any sort of banking on their pc or use Fasebook i would probably think about getting them used to Win10 soon, an opportunity to start now.
Yeah Ive been trying to get them to switch, its my mom thats uninterested. Working on it though. Thank you for the heads up!

Reactions: boju