[SOLVED] Installing old/used SSD and SATA drive to a new laptop - Good idea?

Sep 25, 2020
What are the risks involved of installing SSDs and SATA drives from an older laptop into a newer one?

I have two Samsung SM951 MZ-VPV256 (256 GB - PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe)) drives from my older laptop (Asus ROG G752VY). I also have a Hitachi 0J30563 - 1TB 7.2K RPM SATA 9.5mm 2.5" Hard Drive from the same laptop. That laptop broke down, and I'm not sure if the SSDs/SATA drive is corrupt.

I'm now using a Dell Precision 7730 - And I'm wondering if I can take the components mentioned above and install them to this new laptop. Do I need to format them before installing?

What are the risks involved?

Last edited:
Solution
I have an old Asus ROG G752VY which stopped working a couple of months ago - I'm now using a Dell Precision 7730 with a 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SED SSD Class 40 installed on it.

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to take the SSD from the previous laptop (G752VY) and install it to my Dell laptop as a second drive?

What are the risks involved? If it's possible - How do I go about formatting and installing it on my new laptop making sure I don't screw it up?

Windows 10 can stay on the SSD that came with my new laptop. I don't want to re-install that. Just wondering if I can simply format and insert this older SSD and use it as an additional drive.
Start by watching this teardown video of the 7730 --
View...

kanewolf

Titan
I have an old Asus ROG G752VY which stopped working a couple of months ago - I'm now using a Dell Precision 7730 with a 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SED SSD Class 40 installed on it.

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to take the SSD from the previous laptop (G752VY) and install it to my Dell laptop as a second drive?

What are the risks involved? If it's possible - How do I go about formatting and installing it on my new laptop making sure I don't screw it up?

Windows 10 can stay on the SSD that came with my new laptop. I don't want to re-install that. Just wondering if I can simply format and insert this older SSD and use it as an additional drive.
Start by watching this teardown video of the 7730 --
View: https://youtu.be/0RWe1LAEyI8

Solution