Question Installing open source operating system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. I am fed up with microsoft bullying using windows 10 [See post Does anyone here use windows 10?]

I tried installing lynux on a computer about 5 years ago. It came to the point were it needed to go on the internet to get updates. That was a brick wall for me. I have a talk talk router and maybe it needs some lynux drivers. PLEASE HELP. I can't take any more of this.

Reactions: OkayRose

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Okay. New day and things are a bit better. I have installed rufus on my old computer. I try to burn linuxmint-21.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso to the USB drive. I did remove the .torrent after the .ico. I get the message This image is either non-bootable, or it uses a boot or compression method that is not suported by Rufus...

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I have managed to run Rufus on my old PC and I selected linuxmint-21.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso after I removed the additional .torrent

I get the message "The image is either non-bootable or it uses a boot or compression method that is not supported by Rufus..."

The file in your link is only 26k Does'nt seem right to me. I have used Express burn and ISOburn. I can't get this done. This must be a damaged or corupt file.

I went to the Linux website and am downloding Debian. This a LITTLE bit bigger 3.6G.

The link you gave me is a .torrent. It is not an actual .iso file. I have to go to some torrent website to get it. I remeber torent years ago as a way of getting pirate software.

I wasted a lot of DVD's and CD's doing this.

Last edited:
Ok, it's a while ago I installed debian based OS, here is what I can give feedback on
  • You shouldn't use fat32 partition table, but rather use ext4 because it's a Linux native file system. And ext4 is a journaling file system, meaning it's way safer than fat32 is something goes wrong.
  • The message in image #6 i probably because in image #2, you enter mount-point="none", but should have being "/" (or may state "root" in selection box if that is how the installer works).

Dave8671

Distinguished
I use Mint myself, I wanted to mention I would use Mint 20.3. Mint 21 has issues with HPLIP version installed currently
20.3 is still supported till 2025. I am not sure what brand of printer he has but some HP models are not working on Mint 21 or 21.1

Paul
You have to download the iso image from the website
Connect a USB drive to be used for the installer
Than open Rufus click on the select, not the drop down arrow and find your Mint iso image
Than Rufus should have all the necessary info, now click start.

The latest version of Rufus is 3.21.1949

Rufus will not burn DVD discs anyway

Paul how new is your Computer desktop or laptop? If its less than a year old you may want to download the Cinnamon 20.3 edge edition . The Edge version uses the 5.13 kernel for newer hardware. The normal MInt uses a 4.5 kernel.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
The OP mentioned that they downloaded a .torrent, then were going to rename it to .ISO (post 6). Maybe I misunderstood something.

OP, you open a .torrent file with a torrent client, I use deluge (google deluge torrent). The torrent client will download the .ISO. You don't rename a torrent file.