Installing or Copying PC's OS to a USB

Captain Zark

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
Is it at all possible to take the OS, already installed, from your PC and put it onto a USB? I plan on getting Windows 10, but want to be able to revert to Windows 7 if I don't like it. (I don't have the computers disks, as it was a hand-me-down birthday present from my older sister.)

Solution
No, not really. And you really, really don't want to try to run a Windows OS from a USB drive. Like watching paint dry.

Plus, if you upgrade that Windows 7 to Windows 10, you can't run both at the same time. You don't get Windows 10 and get to keep an operational Windows 7.

What you can do is make an image of that Windows 7 partition on a different drive of sufficient size.
Then upgrade to Win 10.
If you don't like the Win 10, you can either use the built in functionality to rollback, or use that image you made to overwrite the drive.

USAFRet

Titan
No, not really. And you really, really don't want to try to run a Windows OS from a USB drive. Like watching paint dry.

Plus, if you upgrade that Windows 7 to Windows 10, you can't run both at the same time. You don't get Windows 10 and get to keep an operational Windows 7.

What you can do is make an image of that Windows 7 partition on a different drive of sufficient size.
Then upgrade to Win 10.
If you don't like the Win 10, you can either use the built in functionality to rollback, or use that image you made to overwrite the drive.

Solution

Captain Zark

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015

So I'd need another Hard Drive, or could I use a USB?

USAFRet

Titan

Well, you'd need a USB stick of sufficient size. But yes.