Installing OS on SSD Running on AHCI Mode

saturn144

Reputable
Feb 14, 2016
Hi, I'm going to install Windows 10 (USB) on a brand new SSD on a brand new motherboard. I know I'll have to set the SATA to AHCI in the BIOS before installing the OS. Then I found this: Intel SATA Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode) on my mobo's drivers page. Do I need to install that before installing OS? How am I gonna do that? Thanks.

CPU: 6700K
MB: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO

Solution
A. Installing Windows
As some operating systems already include Intel® SATA RAID/AHCI driver, you do not need to install separate RAID/AHCI driver during the Windows installation process.

After the operating system is installed, we recommend that you install all required drivers from the motherboard driver disk using "Xpress Install" to ensure system performance and compatibility. If the operating system to be installed requires that you provide additional SATA RAID/AHCI driver during the OS installation process, please refer to the steps below:

Step 1:
Copy the IRST-x64 or IRST-x86 folder (depending on your OS version) under the Boot folder in the driver disk
to your USB thumb drive.

Step 2:
Boot from the Windows setup disk...
A. Installing Windows
As some operating systems already include Intel® SATA RAID/AHCI driver, you do not need to install separate RAID/AHCI driver during the Windows installation process.

After the operating system is installed, we recommend that you install all required drivers from the motherboard driver disk using "Xpress Install" to ensure system performance and compatibility. If the operating system to be installed requires that you provide additional SATA RAID/AHCI driver during the OS installation process, please refer to the steps below:

Step 1:
Copy the IRST-x64 or IRST-x86 folder (depending on your OS version) under the Boot folder in the driver disk
to your USB thumb drive.

Step 2:
Boot from the Windows setup disk and perform standard OS installation steps. When the screen requesting you
to load the driver appears, select Browse
Step 3:
Insert the USB thumb drive and then browse to the folder (IRST-x64 or IRST-x86) that you previously copied.

Step 4:
When a screen as shown in Figure 1 appears, select Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller and click
Next to load the driver and continue the OS installation

From the manual. Windows 10 has it's own drivers though.

Solution