[SOLVED] Installing osx snow leopard from disk problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fridgemagnett

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
I am trying to install osx Snow Leopard onto my Macbook pro (A1260, 2.4 Gig, early 2008) from the supplied dvd , to a new internal hard drive (WD Black 750GB). I have completed formatting the drive (I hope) and on exiting disk utility I get a big box asking if I want to install apps. etc, or do I want to exit the installer.
I want neither - I want to install the os.
Your help as to what to do next would be greatly appreciated. Please do not use too much technospeak, as I know next to nothing.
The nearest Mac person or shop is a whole days journey away, so I have no choice but DIY.

Solution
I wnt to disk utility and chose erase, then mac extended journalled, named the drive, noted that it said guid at the bottom of the window - then erase again. Then went into the install.
I have it fixed now - the two choices I was given were misleading. The first one is the install osx choice, but you don't know that until you click on it. Why it could not say 'install osx now', rather than ' do you want to install apps.' Logically, it should be one step at a time - osx first, then apps. Confusing.
Some of the information I found online was confusing too - there was an instruction to partition the drive, choosing GUID partition - but this was automatically done when I chose 'mac extended journalled'.
I hope that upgrading to Mavericks...

Fridgemagnett

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
I wnt to disk utility and chose erase, then mac extended journalled, named the drive, noted that it said guid at the bottom of the window - then erase again. Then went into the install.
I have it fixed now - the two choices I was given were misleading. The first one is the install osx choice, but you don't know that until you click on it. Why it could not say 'install osx now', rather than ' do you want to install apps.' Logically, it should be one step at a time - osx first, then apps. Confusing.
Some of the information I found online was confusing too - there was an instruction to partition the drive, choosing GUID partition - but this was automatically done when I chose 'mac extended journalled'.
I hope that upgrading to Mavericks is not quite so confusing!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.