Installing Printer on network

allanw892

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
My Acer one-270 is connected to home network OK but I cannot get the printer to install and recognise the printer (epson tx121) which is shared from my Acer Laptop. The printer is shared as per instructions.

allanw892

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

The installer worked fine and the printer appeared on my devices and printers page.....I had already updated all my Epson drivers previously before my original post. I uninstalled and started from square one again, both printer and scanner drivers installed OK but the printer will not connect. It says the printer is "offline" and when I go to the "what's printing page" the "connect" button is greyed out. If I take the netbook and connect direct to the printer it prints ok. Take back into the other room and try on homegroup it goes right through correctly and even says printing, but the printer does not print and then the print program shuts down. Checked the program list on Programs and Features and the drivers are installed.

allanw892

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
hi again Jackson........I redid everything yet again from square one after uninstalling the printer etc from both computers then removed all Epson entries in the registry. I started with my laptop first and then the netbook and this time everything worked !!! Thanks for your help.....much appreciated..... Allan Winterburn

mariamenounous

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

Hi allanw892, installing printer on the network is not a difficult task.. I hope I can help you in getting your job done.
First, connect the printer to your network by connecting one end of a Cat 5 cable (which should have come with your printer) to your router:

And the other end into the network port of your printer. Turn your printer on and wait for it to become ready.

2. Next you’ll need to get the IP address of your printer. The IP address is what will tell your computer where to find your printer on the network. All network printers allow you to print a configuration sheet which will list basic information about the printer along with the current network configuration.

For most printers, this involves pressing the Menu button on the printer, going to the Information option and choosing Print Configuration. You will be looking for the TCP/IP section:

The IP Address is what you’ll need for the next steps.

3. The last step is to add the printer to your computer. Click on Start, then Printers and Faxes.

If you don’t see this in your Start Menu, you can go to Start, Control Panel and then click on Printers and Faxes there. Click Add Printer from the task pane on the left.

The Add Printer wizard will begin, so click Next to get started. On the next screen you’ll be asked whether your printer is a local printer or a network printer. These options are confusing because a network printer is actually referring either a printer connected to another computer or a printer on a print server. Our printer is a stand-alone printer and so you must select Local printer attached to this computer and make sure that you uncheck the box for automatically detecting the printer.

Click Next and you’ll be asked to select the printer port. Since our printer is a network printer with a IP address, we need to select the Create a new port option and choose Standard TCP/IP Port.

Click Next and you’ll get another wizard to add a TCP/IP printer port. On the main wizard screen click Next. In the first text box, Printer Name or IP Address, enter the IP address from the printer configuration sheet you printer earlier.

Click Next and depending on the printer you have, you may get one more dialog before the end of the wizard. If the network card for the printer cannot be identified, the wizard will ask you to choose the card type. You can leave the default of “Generic Network Card” and click Next.

Click Next and click Finish. You will then continue on with the Add Printer wizard and you’ll need to either choose the printer from the list of manufacturers or click Have Disk and insert your printer driver cd in the computer.

Click Next and enter a name for your printer and click the Yes radio button if you would like the printer to be your default printer.

Click Next and you’ll be asked whether you want to share the printer or not. Click No because anyone else who wants to connect will be able to do so following the same steps.

Click Next and click Yes to print a test page and make sure that the computer and printer can communicate!

Click Next and then click Finish! The new printer will appear in your Printers and Faxes screen and you’re ready to print!

I hope you will love the solution.

allanw892

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
Thanks Mariam but by the time I received your solution I had managed to install the netbook on the network.
Many thanks for your solution though and I will save it on my portable hard drive just in case I have any more problems in the future. Again thanks.....Allan Winterburn

jackson1420

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Happy to hear it worked out. Printers are strange and become corrupted randomly sometimes, I like the tear down the entire wall and rebuild approach. It is like bringing a sledgehammer instead of a chisel. Would you mind marking my answer as the solution to mark this thread as solved?

TRENDING THREADS