[SOLVED] Installing RAM and a second SSD to an HP prebuilt

DaDuckster

Distinguished
May 18, 2012
Had to get a lower performance prebuilt as the one I was going for was sold out.

https://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c07764083

Going to bump it to 16GB (2 x 8GB) by buying a pair of new sticks, as otherwise it seems there might be issues, plus add a 1TB SSD. I will, of course, verify function on delivery, but then I need to do those upgrades. The RAM should be a walk in the park, but what will the SSD install throw at me? I see some people have had trouble, but since the last big update slug was in March, this unit should (theoretically) already be done. I will, of course, check, but any other notes? I ask before this will be my first experience with internal SSD’s (I know).

Since I’m moving my daughter from her old (failing) machine, I was looking at PCMover, but going from one to two drives, that means paying almost double, and it doesn’t seem a simple transfer of files, saves, etc should be that difficult. I know Chrome will automatically sync, but is there any advice for Steam and Minecraft? The other stuff I can do manually in my sleep.

Solution
Going to bump it to 16GB (2 x 8GB) by buying a pair of new sticks, as otherwise it seems there might be issues, plus add a 1TB SSD.
The system comes with a NVMe SSD.
There are two SATA ports available, so you could add two SATA SSDs.
You could attach the SSD to the metal frame of the computer.

The motherboard supports up to 32 GB of RAM (PC4-25600 DDR4-3200) ....16 GB DIMMs per slot.

DaDuckster

Distinguished
May 18, 2012
What type of SSD?
SATA III, NVMe?

"PCMover" ?
What are you expecting this to do, in the context of a "new machine"??

OK, so my daughter’s PC is failing, so it’s time to replace for mild gaming, school use and a little light graphics. Since it’s replacing a 6th Gen i5 that could do everything she needs, this one will work fine.

The SSD will be the second on the Mobo, installing on a second M2/2280 slot (as far as I understand…will visually confirm before purchasing the SSD. To be honest, I don’t know if that means NVMe or SATA III…last time I really did this s**t, SATA was the jump from IDE.

PCMover is a software program to transfer from an old computer to a new one, retaining settings and minimizing hassle…but, I also assume keeping a bunch of potential problems unsolved. Thus I’m electing to keep the clean install on the new machine and reload what she needs…hopefully clearing out the debris that way.

Going to bump it to 16GB (2 x 8GB) by buying a pair of new sticks, as otherwise it seems there might be issues, plus add a 1TB SSD.

The motherboard supports up to 32 GB of RAM (PC4-25600 DDR4-3200) ....16 GB DIMMs per slot.

Last edited:
Solution

DaDuckster

Distinguished
May 18, 2012

OK, but the spec seems to suggest a second M2 is available on the Mobo, or am I misunderstanding that? Adding a SATA SSD seems fine too, but as I understand HP’s cheap ass builds, there wont be any easy mounting place for it…so perhaps I’ll be back with pictures and ask for suggestions…we’ll see.

32GB seems overkill for this unit and it’s intended lifespan/use, but I’ll check the prices. It’s just annoying I can’t salvage more from the old unit to help my 4th Gen i7, but I suspect tossing a random 8GB stick in for a 4 won’t play nice.

Thanks though.

DaDuckster

Distinguished
May 18, 2012

OK, got it and opened it up…don’t see a second M.2, so SATA it is. Looks like I can plug and play, as there is a loose SATA cable in the case plugged into the Mobo, and a couple chained connectors also the same…plus, HP actually put a cage in this puppy!

Thanks again!

OK, got it and opened it up…don’t see a second M.2, so SATA it is. Looks like I can plug and play, as there is a loose SATA cable in the case plugged into the Mobo, and a couple chained connectors also the same…plus, HP actually put a cage in this puppy!

Thanks again!
You're welcome.
There is a 2nd M.2 slot (socket 1, Key A ) that supports a Wi-Fi , Bluetooth, NFC or Wi-Gig card.
There could be a Wi-Fi card already installed.

Reactions: DaDuckster

DaDuckster

Distinguished
May 18, 2012
You're welcome.
There is a 2nd M.2 slot (socket 1, Key A ) that supports a Wi-Fi , Bluetooth, NFC or Wi-Gig card.
There could be a Wi-Fi card already installed.

That’s it…I noticed something that might be a shorty M.2 slot, and now that makes sense. Well, after slagging HP I have to give them props for providing an SATA connector, already plugged in, tucked safely along with two power connectors on the side (and a cage too).