Installing retail version of Windows 8.1 on Sony Vaio SVE1711X1EB

ZoomerPong

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
Hi everyone,

About 2 years and a half ago I bought a Sony Vaio SVE1711X1EB and it had an OEM version of Windows 7 installed. I now want to perform a clean install of Windows 8.1. I don't want to use the restore partition on the drive and then upgrade to windows 8.1 for the following reasons:

- I don't want the OEM version of Windows with all the bloatware it comes with.
- I am planning on swapping the currently used hard drive with a Samsung SSD 850 Evo and perform the install directly on the SSD.

1) I know that after installing the OS I will have to install some of the drivers by myself (the internet driver, wifi driver, sound driver, graphics card driver and chipset driver).. Now here is my first question. I went on Sony's website in the download section and I found the downloads for my model, as you can see by clicking here. This seems all very confusing to me because there are so many drivers to install and especially because there are more drivers for Windows 7, a bit less for Windows 8 and even less for Windows 8.1. What does this mean? Does it have anything to do with the fact that the original OS of the laptop was Windows 7? Or does it mean that Windows 8 and 8.1 will automatically take care of most of the drivers? Or does it mean that Windows 8.1 only needs some of the drivers that windows 7 needs? My main question is what drivers should I install and why? (do I need to install the windows 7 drivers first and then overwrite with the windows 8 ones?).

2) My third question is what settings will I have to change in the BIOS in order to install on the SSD and to maximise compatibility between OS and SSD?

3) Finally, is there any chance that I will be able to install with UEFI bios? (this is less important).

Thanks for the attention and thanks in advance for the replies!

ZoomerPong

Solution
1) all you need are the Windows8.1 drivers. Do NOT install windows7 drivers. Since Windows8.1 is newer, it has more drivers already included; therefore, less drivers are listed. Before installing Windows8.1, check in the Device Manager under Network Adapters which wireless network and Bluetooth adapter your system has. It will say either Intel or Atheros.

2) See if there is an AHCI setting available

3) If it is a UEFI BIOS then yes, otherwise No. A firmware update will not make it UEFI. Since the system originally came with Windows7, it night not be a UEFI BIOS.

After installing Windows8.1 check the Device Manager to see which drivers are missing. Some of the drivers avalable for download from Sony might already be installed
1) all you need are the Windows8.1 drivers. Do NOT install windows7 drivers. Since Windows8.1 is newer, it has more drivers already included; therefore, less drivers are listed. Before installing Windows8.1, check in the Device Manager under Network Adapters which wireless network and Bluetooth adapter your system has. It will say either Intel or Atheros.

2) See if there is an AHCI setting available

3) If it is a UEFI BIOS then yes, otherwise No. A firmware update will not make it UEFI. Since the system originally came with Windows7, it night not be a UEFI BIOS.

After installing Windows8.1 check the Device Manager to see which drivers are missing. Some of the drivers avalable for download from Sony might already be installed

Solution

ZoomerPong

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012

Thank You very much! I thought nobody was going to answer :) I still have a small doubt though. Do I still need to update the BIOS with the BIOS updates from windows 7 and 8 ( Windows 8 has 2 updates, which one?) or will Widnows 8.1 update the BIOS for me? Oh and last thing, my model seems to have a very peculiar way to acess the BIOS.. Any idea how it might be done?

Thanks again :)

ZoomerPong

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012

Unfortunately I tried F2, F9 and Delete, and they don't work.. But I will find a way! Thank You!