installing service packs

I am running NT Workstation 4.0 service pack 3. I
downloaded and installed service pack 6 only to find that
I could no longer connect to the net, when I uninstalled
SP6 I could. My question apart from if anybody knows what
this problem might be is -- was it correct to install sp6
on top of sp3, or do I need to install the other service
packs sequentially?

Thanks, Santos

You can and should go straight to Sp6. Sp3 was riddled with issues. After
installing Sp6 do regular troubleshooting to see what the problem may be. Do
you get an IP? Can you ping anything? Can you go to websites by IP instead
of by name? Is your NIC still active? Any errors in the Event viewer?
Remember during the install of Sp6 to say "NO" to overwriting any files if
it asks. Most likely your replacing your NIC driver during the install.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Santos Raphael" <chris.brazendale@inspire.net.nz> wrote in message
> I am running NT Workstation 4.0 service pack 3. I
> downloaded and installed service pack 6 only to find that
> I could no longer connect to the net, when I uninstalled
> SP6 I could. My question apart from if anybody knows what
> this problem might be is -- was it correct to install sp6
> on top of sp3, or do I need to install the other service
> packs sequentially?
>
> Thanks, Santos

It's possible that your network card driver doesn't work
with Service Pack 3.
Follow these instructions closely...
1. Obtain the Network installation version Service Pack 6a.
(it's about 35 mb)
(!) Make sure your have the correct encryption level of the
Service Pack. Simply run the installer but don't go any
further than the first screen. Click Cancel.
2. Obtain the latest network card driver.
3. Open Network Properties and install the network card driver.
4. DO NOT REBOOT WHEN ASKED!!
5. Now install Service Pack 6a and then reboot.
NOTE: You can copy the files unpacked during installation
if you copy the files while Setup is still open and before
rebooting. Copy them to C:\i386. You can use these files
later when doing OS changes that require the CD-ROM. You
can use this directory instead of the CD-ROM in most cases
and avoid the need to reapply Service Pack 6a.

If the problem persists, check your network settings.