Installing Sound Blaster PCIe Zx with a PCI to PCIe adaptor - next to GPU

Jun 5, 2018
Hi everyone, new here and really enjoy reading through people posts. So i have a dilemma. Recently purchased a budget gaming pc (AMD FX6300, GTX 1060 3gb, 16GB ram) since this is my first actual gaming pc.

This is the motherboard in question I'm having a dilemma with. It comes with 2 PCIe slots and 1 PCI slot.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-USB3-R2-rev-10#kf

I went ahead and pre ordered an used Sound Blaster Zx PCIe. Came in the mail the same day the pc I ordered came in. I read online that this motherboard comes with 2 PCIe slots, 1x and 16x. So I figured the 16x for the GPU and the 1x for the sound card. When I took the side cover off to install the Zx, The GPU covers up the PCIe 1x slot also. So no more slots to use.

The only thing visible now is the PCI slot but BARELY. I read that they make adaptors that you can adapt a PCI slot to work with a PCIe component. I have two questions about this.

1) Will this still deliver good sound with being an adapter from PCI to PCIe. Will i still get the same quality? One of the main reasons I got it is the included audio module which is AWESOME.

2) Do you know of any adaptors big enough that get enough clearance from the GPU? The GPU is SUPER close to the PCI slot, so the adapter would need to be pretty high to work.

2v2ij9y.png

Solution
Not really much of help for you but if worse comes to worse, just sell the thing on ebay and get what the audiophiles use, an external DAC.

The audio is going to impede GPU cooling. External DACs remove all interference from the PC's electronics and is the superior option.
IF you could notice any difference vs onboard sound anyway. (they have come a LONG way)

fredfinks

Honorable
Not really much of help for you but if worse comes to worse, just sell the thing on ebay and get what the audiophiles use, an external DAC.

The audio is going to impede GPU cooling. External DACs remove all interference from the PC's electronics and is the superior option.
IF you could notice any difference vs onboard sound anyway. (they have come a LONG way)

Solution
Jun 5, 2018

Thank you for the reply! Do you recommend any good budget ones? Definitely not looking for anything crazy. It's funny you mention ebay that's where I picked up this one pre owned but looks like brand new, I don't think the audio module was ever used not one scratch/scuff mark, may just save it for a later time. Got it for a really good price.

Do you recommend any good "budget" ones?

fredfinks

Honorable
http://www.schiit.com/products/fulla-2

Best youll find for the price. Its small, TOP components and has a practical volume control. They have an online store but you may find it cheaper from other sellers. These things are recommended by people who review $3k dacs

ive got one of these Fostex pictured below (im happy with my onboard sound), it just does volume control but OH SO MUCH better than controlling via the mouse & keyboard
(Even though i still use keyboard for adjustment its just that all different media has so wildly different audio volumes, you kinda need macro and micro adjustment).
Volume control on headphones is getting harder to find and severly limits headphone choice.

PC1-EX%20%28thumb%29.jpg

Jun 5, 2018

Perfect, thank you so much!