[SOLVED] Installing SSD to already working system

Mizuho

Reputable
Jun 1, 2017
Hi there, i was wondering if adding a SSD to my already working system, will make me have to reinstall windows or anything else? I'm new to this and haven't really looked into it until i got a 120gb SSD at a good price. I should mention that i don't have any windows installation disk/drive with me. What are the steps to take and so on? Thank you.

Solution
So, there is really no way you can put that on a 120 GB SSD. You'd need to start from scratch with a clean install of the OS on the SSD. You don't need an installation disk to do that, you can download the files directly from Microsoft but you need to make sure you attach the product key for your current Windows installation to a Microsoft account in YOUR name, first.

It would require reinstalling everything. The OS, all programs, any game loaders, etc. The actual game files, if you have any, could be left on the old drive but honestly that drive is simply too small to be of much use. 256GB should be the minimum for any Windows OS drive these days. You're probably better off simply using that SSD for storage of your game files, by...
Are you wanting to run your Windows OS from the SSD, or are you wanting to use the SSD for something OTHER than the OS?

Assuming your current OS is on a Hard disk drive, and you are wanting to put the OS on the SSD, how much total space is currently being taken up on the OS Hard drive?

Mizuho

Reputable
Jun 1, 2017
Are you wanting to run your Windows OS from the SSD, or are you wanting to use the SSD for something OTHER than the OS?

Assuming your current OS is on a Hard disk drive, and you are wanting to put the OS on the SSD, how much total space is currently being taken up on the OS Hard drive?
That's the thing lol, i'm asking for advice as to what's gonna be better for me since my pc is quite an old one but i do play games on it. My OS and together will all my files, make up to a total of 146gb, no partitions.

So, there is really no way you can put that on a 120 GB SSD. You'd need to start from scratch with a clean install of the OS on the SSD. You don't need an installation disk to do that, you can download the files directly from Microsoft but you need to make sure you attach the product key for your current Windows installation to a Microsoft account in YOUR name, first.

It would require reinstalling everything. The OS, all programs, any game loaders, etc. The actual game files, if you have any, could be left on the old drive but honestly that drive is simply too small to be of much use. 256GB should be the minimum for any Windows OS drive these days. You're probably better off simply using that SSD for storage of your game files, by moving them to the SSD and then pointing your game loader to the new location, and then when you are able to get a larger SSD THEN worry about putting the OS on there.

Solution

Mizuho

Reputable
Jun 1, 2017

It would require reinstalling everything. The OS, all programs, any game loaders, etc. The actual game files, if you have any, could be left on the old drive but honestly that drive is simply too small to be of much use. 256GB should be the minimum for any Windows OS drive these days. You're probably better off simply using that SSD for storage of your game files, by moving them to the SSD and then pointing your game loader to the new location, and then when you are able to get a larger SSD THEN worry about putting the OS on there.
Oh ok thx very much. I think that's what i'll do, move the games i play onto the ssd.