[SOLVED] Installing ssd

samgoesham

Reputable
Mar 30, 2017
I will be installing an ssd tomorrow i want to transfer the os to this new ssd and use the old hdd for extra storage but I am not sure if I need to wipe the hdd and also what is the easiest way of getting this task done as a whole?

Solution
Your job is simple.
Download the ssd migration app and software here.

Run the app.
This takes a while, perhaps an hour or more.
When done, switch the sata data cables so you boot from the ssd.
You might leave the old HDD disconnected to be certain all is ok.

In the event that you do not have sufficient room on the ssd, there will be options to exclude large data folders from the move.

kanewolf

Titan
I will be installing an ssd tomorrow i want to transfer the os to this new ssd and use the old hdd for extra storage but I am not sure if I need to wipe the hdd and also what is the easiest way of getting this task done as a whole?
Is the amount of space used on your HDD less than 90% of your new SSD? If so you have a chance to clone your HDD. If not, then you need to get the used space down.

Good plan.
Most ssd makers have clone/move utilities that can preserve your os and apps.

Once done and you can boot with the ssd alone, you can do what you wish with the old HDD.
Any data folders will still be available.
You can simply delete files or you can wipe the drive entirely.

You might want to repurpose the hdd as an external backup.

Your job is simple.

Run the app.

In the event that you do not have sufficient room on the ssd, there will be options to exclude large data folders from the move.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
The model is Samsung evo 860 500g 2.5”
And space consumed on the current HDD?
If under 400GB, no problem.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

samgoesham

Reputable
Mar 30, 2017
https://snipboard.io/5on7v4.jpg

so i am trying to copy over the whole hdd to the ssd and its giving me this error code i have tried to do all the trouble shooting i know how to, but i am lost at this point i know i have space on the ssd it is 500g and the hdd is 1t but only has around 120 g taken up so i should be fine in that regard or so i thought so im asking for assistance im not sure what to do from here, even after deleting vss shadow backups. sorry if this is simple im new to this stuff

samgoesham

Reputable
Mar 30, 2017
And space consumed on the current HDD?
If under 400GB, no problem.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.
so i tried doing as you said but i have gotten this error code i tried deleting vss shadow or atleast thats what the troubleshooting page on macrium told me to do but past that i am quite lost here is what im seeing
also yea the hdd only has around 120g taken up so im good in that department as far as copying it over
https://snipboard.io/5on7v4.jpg

samgoesham

Reputable
Mar 30, 2017
Your job is simple.

Run the app.

thank you so much im trying it now i will let you know if this works i totally skipped over this message but it seems to be working right now im 10% into the data migration!

For jobs like this I picked up an external cloning dock from Startech:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...MIheydsrXk6AIVy56zCh06MQkuEAkYBSABEgIjAfD_BwE

This is by far the fastest and easiest way I've ever found for cloning a drive. You can pretty much clone anything sata to anything else sata as long as the destination is a larger drive.

And when you're not cloning, you can use it as a handy usb 3.0 drive dock. They even make a version that has an esata port for a little more:
https://www.pcnation.com/web/detail...MIyJe-6bXk6AIVGuDICh3KDQyTEAkYASABEgIbRfD_BwE

I actually took mine when I visited my cousin and he moved to an ssd. It made the process a cinch even when his old drive was almost completely full.