Installing the Cooler Master Hyper 212+

How to install your new cooler? A little Guide

Hi people, this is my 1st guide, so, don't be so hard.

Some advices before start.

A. Well, the 1st step before install your new cooler is buy one that fit on your case, so, make you sure that the cooler that you want fit perfectly on your case or you could have many problems when you try to close your case.

B. Another advice, make you sure that the cooler support your socket, some coolers only support i7 or AM3 for example, you don't want spend your money in a cooler that don't support your socket processor.

C. Also, make you sure that your RAM size isn't very high or this could be a problem when your socket is very near to your RAM slots.

D. Last advice, discharge your static current, or this could damage your mobo, processor or another component. You need do this many times in the process if you don't have an anti static handle, just touch the case of your PC, if you have an anti static handle, just connect it to some metallic part and ready to go.

For full size picture, do click on it.

1. After that three advices, let's start with the guide. For this, I go to install a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+, in a MSI K9A2 Platinum, that is socket AM2/AM2+ and have installed a Phenom II X4 955. My case is a Thermaltake V9.

2. Unplug all the cords of your case (keyboard, mouse, power, audio....) and put your case in a solid place to start with the process. Open your case and unplug all the cables of your HD, DVD drives, GPU, current cooler and other stuffs that you have installed in your mobo.

P.D. Yeah, I know, my system management cable isn't the best.

3. Now, if your case don't have tray for your mobo, you need pull out the mobo of the case for install the cooler in the proper way. Isn't necessary remove the PSU, HD or DVD drives.

P.D. I think that is necessary that you remove the GPU and RAM

4. After that, you need remover your current cooler and the cooler support, also you need clean the thermal grease that your processor have. For clean the thermal paste, you can use a scarf that don't leave lint or toilet paper.

5. Now, we need remove the current cooler support for install the new cooler support. When you remove the front side of the cooler support, the back side is removed in the same process.

As you can see, both parts of the cooler support are easy to remove, just remove the screws in the front side of the mobo.

6. Now that your processor don't have thermal grease, and the old cooler support isn't installed anymore, we can start to install the new cooler support and finally the cooler.

7. Install the four screws in the holes that before had the old cooler support in the front side of the mobo, and install the other part of the cooler support in the back side of the mobo. If this part isn't clear, don't worry, just look the pictures and you can get the idea.

As you see, install the screws in the front side, and adjust this with the nuts in the back side. For this you need use the big nut that the cooler have (in this case, I don't know if all comes with this or similar one). BUT read the installation guides to know in what side you must use the big nut, that in this case is with the little nuts in the back side.

P.D. The backplate was installed in an AMD mobo, for Intel mobo the backplate should be installed with the little legs to the mobo and not to the case as you see in the picture above.

WRONG WAY

CORRECT WAY

8. After that you has adjusted all the screws with the nuts in the back plate (back side of the mobo), you need install the retention plate in the cooler. For this, you need adjust 1st the screws according with your socket.

To install the retention plate to your socket, you need check the screws in this, because the retention plate have the screws by default to install in a mobo with socket 775, so, here are some tips.

a. For socket 775, don't change any screw
b. For socket AM2/AM2+/AM3 or 1156 adjust the screws to the 2nd hole in the retention plate
c. For socket 1366 adjust the screws to the last hole in the retention plate.

9. Now, you need apply the thermal grease to your new cooler, BUT before you need remove the protective layer that the cooler have in the bottom. You don't need apply all the thermal grease that comes with the cooler, just the enough to cover all the CPU. You can apply the thermal grase to the cooler or the CPU.

Update: Thanks to lutfij for share the following guide with us. Thermal Paste Application

10. Now, you can install the cooler in your mobo, be sure that the screws fit in the 1st screws that you install in the beginning of the process, adjust the screws in X, not in on side 1st.

Update: You can install the cooler in two ways, vertical or horizontal position, all depends of your preference, airflow and case space. Thanks to JofaMang for the suggestion.

11. Now, you need install the fan to your cooler, for this just attach the fan brackets to the fan (this comes installed from the manufacturer) and attach the fan the cooler. Bear in mind that you only need do this process if you want install a 2nd fan, or if the fan don't comes installed from the manufacturer.

As you can see, we could have some problem here. If your RAM size is very high (some Kingston HyperX, G.Skill or Corsair) and this is very near to your processor, the installation of the new cooler will be a big problem and could not fit correctly. In that case, you must install the cooler in the other way, with the fan side to the top or to the bottom of your case.

15. Finally, you has installed your new cooler, now, you need install the mobo in your case, connect everything again and start to OC.

/-------------------------------------------------/

1- If you have some question, feel free to ask here or in the forum, we are here to help you.
2- If you want add anything to the guide, tell to me.
3- If you have some advice and/or correction, let me know.

Finally, bear in mind. The English isn't my native language, so, don't be so hard. Enjoy it.

jejeje, well, maybe in the USA is cheap, in my country is a little more expensive. :(, that's why a always try to buy on pages from the USA. Even, the Hyper 212+ that I use for the guide, was bought from microcenter.com

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Nice photos. I just installed my 212+ a little more than a week ago, and while it could have been a frustrating experience, I found a guide similar to this on another forum through a google search. The instructions that come with the cooler are merely adequite, and having a reference like this made it a fairly painless procedure. You could mention that the cooler can be installed in both vertical and horizontal positions, though, as it isn't obvious just looking at the clamp.

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006

overshocked asked you a question "LOL, what country you live in?" so i went into your member information and found that you were from Colombia. So i replied to overshocked that you were from there. :D

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
^Its a good guide, just because it didnt get stickied doesnt mean that its not gunna get a lot of views. I have made 4 or 5 guides that havnt been stickied, but my "what does what" guide still heas like 4 or 5 thousand views.

Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Good work on the guide! The images are a little too big for a 1280*1024 monitor though ;)

Since you used the CM Hyper 212+ in your guide and I just installed it, I have a few questions.
What thermal paste should one use? I didn't use the CM paste that was applied but used AS5 and just applied a very thin layer to the CPU, covering its whole surface.
How tight should the screws of the retention plate be? (Not the back plate) I didn't apply too much pressure, just enough to make sure it was somewhat adequately seated.
What about fan orientation? I mounted my fan on the same side as you showed in your guide, except I made to push air onto the heatsink, rather than pulling away. It's my understand that is the superior way.

Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Oh and one more thing since I couldn't edit my last post.
I didn't use the big nut at all on my socket LGA775 motherboard. Should I? Couldn't really see where it was supposed to go.

Thx overshocked

Hi Kralnor

1- The Hyper 212+ comes with thermal grease (even I think that all the coolers comes with it), I used that, but like I say in the post, isn't necessary apply all the thermal compound, just the "perfect" amount that cover all your CPU.
2- Well, I apply the same pressure that you, as you can see, the screws of the retention plate have a limit, I just apply the pressure until that limit. Why? because if you don't adjust the cooler correctly to the CPU, you could have overheating problems. Also, if you can move the cooler when this is installed, means that isn't fully adjusted to the screws.
3- For the fan orientation you must have in mind the fans of your cooler. The back side and top side fans of your case are fans for exhaust, and the fans on the front side are intake fans. With that, I install the fan with the orientation in the same way of the intake fans, because the airflow of the case is from the front side to the back side. The other way for the fan, is looking to the GPU, with the big fan of the top for exhaust.

Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply.

It seems like I installed the fan with the same orientation as you after all, so all is good on that front. I could definitely not move the HSF after screwing it in place, so that's fine too I suppose. Temps are great, much better than with the stock HSF and even at very low fan RPM.

Well, the big nut it's only used for apply pressure to the little nuts and with this adjust the back plate to the back side of the mobo, so, don't goes installed in the mobo or the cooler. I use it for a better guide with all the components that comes with the cooler, but I think that is better used it, this comes with the cooler for some reason.

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

I have the Cannon Rebel XSi it really is a great DSLR. The XTi is a slightly lower end model (10mp, no spot meter, XSi uses SDHC) Anyways I got mine on sale for $579~ from wolfcamera less than year ago~ so it was a really good deal.

Also the:
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S950

Is pretty good for $100 camera. Definitely beat the competitors at that price range, I was surprised none the less. I helped one of my cousins shop for a $100~ camera, the Sony Cyber shot took the lead in her budget.

Quick Guide to sub $200~ cameras for overshocked:
One of the easiest ways to split shady image processors from good ones is to point the camera at a light source, preferably with lamp shade surrounding it. If it can clear out the brightness, focus on the light bulb/shade, and produce a great image/color without being glared/contrasted to a degree of unrealism, then it passes the first step and can be considered for future testing. If it contrasts too much, excuse that camera as you will most likely get resounding blacks due to high contrast, and also color hue will be off due to the contrasting/hue/saturation that takes place at the image processor.. Another test is how well the lens is guarded. Is it a plastic lid, closing shutters? (closing shutters should be tested for durability, plastic lid is always a better choice for those who are responsible enough to use it and provided the seal is good. After contrast/light bulb test the rest is up to the image quality, then quality of camera casing/lcd/warranty/brand etc.. Image quality is tricky. The best thing to do is to focus one intricate item with as much plain back ground as possible as to not confuse the auto focus, zoom in using the LCD.

Yeah!!!, OC until 4GHz on air :):):) isn't the best but is good for a socket AM2+

overclock9554ghz.jpg

By saint1926 at 2010-03-27

overclock9554ghz2.jpg

By saint1926 at 2010-03-27