Question Installing the system on a new disk

Jan 26, 2023
Hello. I currently have the system installed on a hard drive, but I would like to install a new one on an SSD. I can't format the hard disk, because there are the necessary files there, and during installation it was not possible to create a separate partition for the system. How do I install on an SSD and remove the old one from the hard drive? Thank you.

Hello. I currently have the system installed on a hard drive, but I would like to install a new one on an SSD. I can't format the hard disk, because there are the necessary files there, and during installation it was not possible to create a separate partition for the system. How do I install on an SSD and remove the old one from the hard drive? Thank you.

Hey there,

Simply disconnect the HDD from the system. Install Windows on the SSD. Update, and shutdown. Re-attach the HDD, then go back to Windows and you should be able to see the full drive, with all files.

Jan 26, 2023
Hey there,

Simply disconnect the HDD from the system. Install Windows on the SSD. Update, and shutdown. Re-attach the HDD, then go back to Windows and you should be able to see the full drive, with all files.
Won't the installed system on the hard drive conflict with the new system on the SSD? Will it be possible to delete files from the old Windows on the HDD? Thanks.

Won't the installed system on the hard drive conflict with the new system on the SSD? Will it be possible to delete files from the old Windows on the HDD? Thanks.

No, it will only now boot from the SSD, but as @Grobe mentioned if there is an option presented, then reset the boot order. Once in Windows you can choose what to to with the drive. If you wipe it, next time you restart, it will go straight to the new OS.

Yes, you will be able to view, delete, copy any files on the other disk. If you want to just wipe it, then you can format it. It should be seen straight away and present no conflict.

Reactions: brxt
Jan 25, 2023
Well, it's very simple. You can take out the hard drive from your system and use it as an external hard drive, copying all of your important data. After that, you can format it and install Windows on a new SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
Caveat to the above....you don't just "format" the old drive in File Explorer.

Instead, you go into Disk Management, and DELETE all existing partitions.
A simple format leave behind the old boot partition.

I can't format the hard disk, because there are the necessary files there
And for this, the ideal pathway is to copy those files off to some other drive now, while that drive and system are still running.