Question Installing W10 Pro - On a laptop which has W10 Home built into the bios

nickeh1

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
Hi there, I purchased windows 10 key on eBay a while ago.

I never actually used it but just trying to activate now and wondering someone can help.

The laptop I am installing it on has a w10 home key built into the bios.

I had to install pro becos I needed the laptop for some features only w10 pro offers.

Since installing w10 pro, windows notices that the key in the bios is for home (not pro).

So I click change key, and enter the key which was purchased on ebay.
It fails...
Then I go to troubleshoot and it says the following

https://prnt.sc/qor71l

https://prnt.sc/qor7aa

Do you know of a solution for this?

Any help would be really appreciated.

nickeh1

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
"So I click change key, and enter the key which was purchased on ebay. "

You purchased an invalid OS license.
You could be right here - it was a key purchased cheap on ebay for just a few pounds - theres lots of sellers on ebay selling cheap Windows 10 keys... I am guessing they are valid but in use on other PCs? What are others thoughts? I guess the only way for a genuine is to buy from reputable retailer? Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
You could be right here - it was a key purchased cheap on ebay for just a few pounds - theres lots of sellers on ebay selling cheap Windows 10 keys... I am guessing they are valid but in use on other PCs? What are others thoughts? I guess the only way for a genuine is to buy from reputable retailer? Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks!
Either already used and sold a dozen times, or a corporate castoff that will expire in 6 months, or simply not valid at all.

A Windows OS costs around $100US.
Find it much cheaper than that, and it is Not Valid.

nickeh1

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
@USAFRet Would you also say that the ones listed on sites such as this that you pay around £20-£30 is not an official unique code to the purchaser as well and potentially expire in future?
https://www.g2a.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-microsoft-key-global-i10000083916004

Aside from all of this, I am looking at putting dual windows on this laptop, one copy of windows on two separate drives.

Regarding the windows installs, does it matter if one of them is Windows 10 Pro and another is Windows 10 Home?

I have a problem on another HP laptop which has dual Windows 10 Pro, on separate drives, both same windows version. .. every now and then, after some windows updates, it breaks the second copy of windows. I get stuck on blue screen - the only way to get it back is to recover from MacriumReflect image. I am wondering if it is safer to have different versions of windows, such as Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro when doing dual windows on one laptop, because maybe the Windows updates won't break the other drive with windows if they are different versions?
Would be good to hear yours and others thoughts on this. Thanks so much!

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
G2A?
Not even a little bit. No way, no how, not at any price.

Why 2 OS's?
As you've encountered on your laptop...it sometimes breaks things.
There is rarely a good reason for 2 bootable identical OS's.
Home + Pro? Again, no.

Multiple user accounts and a comprehensive backup routine.

nickeh1

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
G2A?
Not even a little bit. No way, no how, not at any price.

Why 2 OS's?
As you've encountered on your laptop...it sometimes breaks things.
There is rarely a good reason for 2 bootable identical OS's.
Home + Pro? Again, no.

Multiple user accounts and a comprehensive backup routine.

@USAFRet Dual windows copies because we run a virtual server on one and we use the other for personal. We found personal apps such as Skype conflict with the virtual server so we have to run 2 separate entities.

Please explain more on your comments as I do require dual windows.

"There is rarely a good reason for 2 bootable identical OS's.
Home + Pro? Again, no."

Would Home + Pro be safer option for dual windows, or Pro + Pro? Or no difference at all?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
I've seen too many instances where the system boots into the wrong OS, and being two of the same, the user doesn't recognize things have gone a bit wrong.

Having the virtual server as a guest OS on one Windows instance, and the other windows instance for your personal stuff, when/how do you switch?
Turn the server off?
What virtualization tool do you use?

nickeh1

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
I've seen too many instances where the system boots into the wrong OS, and being two of the same, the user doesn't recognize things have gone a bit wrong.

Having the virtual server as a guest OS on one Windows instance, and the other windows instance for your personal stuff, when/how do you switch?
Turn the server off?
What virtualization tool do you use?

@USAFRet
Yes virtual server is only used every now and then for events. Ran via Docker.

To switch, I usually turn off server, and restart windows to switch to other windows by changing boot order in bios.

I still don't know whether it is better to run dual windows 10 as exact same copy i.e. both windows 10 pro or would it be better to have one copy w10 pro + another w10 home when running dual windows on a laptop?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
"every now and then", I'd have it on its own drive, and only connect that drive when needed.
Or once a month to run system Updates.

If doing that, it matters not which versions you use.

Being a laptop, however, complicates things regarding physical drive swaps.

nickeh1

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
"every now and then", I'd have it on its own drive, and only connect that drive when needed.
Or once a month to run system Updates.

If doing that, it matters not which versions you use.

Being a laptop, however, complicates things regarding physical drive swaps.

@USAFRet
Well it is more often now then every now and then - we a small growing business that uses the virtual server for events - so it more often that we need to use it now so I'd say more than every now and then.

Removing the drive and putting back in each time would be a pain.

In the long run, it's been okay.
On another laptop, I ran dual w10 pro, and we only encountered the issue where w10 broke twice over a 10 month period. In which case we were able to restore the broken windows from a macrium reflect backup.

My big question is really does it make a difference to do 'w10 pro + w10 home' when doing dual windows, or is there no difference or extra conflicts than doing 'w10 pro + w10 pro' - should this be the same experience regardless?

With regards to the windows key, can I use my w10 pro key from another laptop?

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
The problem is, as you've encountered, that sometimes the two OS's interact and corrupt the other.
And it probably doesn't make a difference of what combination Home + Pro it is. The vast majority of the code base is the same.

Since this is for a business, I'd strongly consider a whole other laptop.
One for personal, one to run these events.

For the Windows license? A license that was preinstalled on a different laptop almost certainly cannot be used on different hardware.
That is one of the few situations where it can't transfer to different hardware.

nickeh1

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
The problem is, as you've encountered, that sometimes the two OS's interact and corrupt the other.
And it probably doesn't make a difference of what combination Home + Pro it is. The vast majority of the code base is the same.

Since this is for a business, I'd strongly consider a whole other laptop.
One for personal, one to run these events.

For the Windows license? A license that was preinstalled on a different laptop almost certainly cannot be used on different hardware.
That is one of the few situations where it can't transfer to different hardware.
Thanks for your reply.
I have a feeling it is due to it being HP Laptop, after googling, I found many circumstances where windows has broke on hp laptops.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS