Installing W7 using an old HDD on an old machine to install W7 on a ne

smartyjosh

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Installing W7 using an old HDD on an old machine to install W7 on a new SSD to be used on a new machine.
I hope that makes sense.

Hi, I'm new to all of this and wondering if it was possible.

Maybe I need to clarify a little better. Basically, I'm currently using this old machine from '09 and its performance levels have died down a lot. I bought all the components to build a new machine except I didn't want to spend extra money on another HDD to install the OS on my new 180GB Intel SSD. So basically, I want to use the HDD from my old computer, install W7 onto the SSD, then transfer the drive to my new computer, and use it on the machine and just reinstall all my other files. I'm not sure if that's possible. Someone help me please.

smartyjosh

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

I bought the Windows 7 disc a couple years back. I just need to know how I can install W7 onto my new SSD using my old computer.

Windows keys are only good for one system. Retail keys can be moved(as long as you only use it on ONE system), while OEM copies of windows are LOCKED to the one system(legally).

You should never install windows on one system and move it to another as it can result in problems(due to the suddent hardware changes) like blue screen errors.

If want just wanted to have windows on the SSD on the same system(not to move the ssd to another system), you would just need to use some cloning software.

smartyjosh

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012

I see, I guess I'll just need to remove W7 off of my HDD and use the HDD to boot on my new computer and then install W7 using the empty HDD onto my SSD. That sound more plausible?